Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question-Answer Lehigh 45 cal Sabotless Bullets

Old 08-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Question-Answer Lehigh 45 cal Sabotless Bullets

A few questions have been asked about the length of the new 45 sabotless bullet as compared to the older 40cal 200 grain DOA.

The question has risen because of concerns about stabilization from different twist rates in the different bores. One thing I would like to mention is that 'over-stablization' from a really fast twist is not a problem. Under-stablization from a slower twist, such as a Knight 1/30 for the longer 40 cal bullets can be a problem.

As you can see the new sabotless is longer than the 40/200, but does not offer the same 'understablization' problem that you might experiance when shooting the 40/200 with moderate powder loads. Because of the extra diameter of the sabotless the bullet will stablize in a 'more' normal 1/28 twist and certainly worked for me in a 1/30 twist.