Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lyman Trade Rifle .50 caliber

Old 08-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I took the .50 caliber Lyman Trade Rifle out today and had the target at... 49,50,48 yards, according to my range finder. So I called it 50 yards.

Its amazing how small that red inner bulls eye looks at 50 yards. No wonder I like scopes. This Lyman Trade Rifle has primitive sights, but I really like them for some reason.

That low hit was intentional. I wanted to see if I could shoot under the group in to at least the inner circle, so I aimed low.

I then decided to try and foul the rifle out. But after shooting 25 round balls I was not able to. So I ended the shooting session.

I was shooting 85 grains of Goex 3f. I had a .018 pillow tick patch and used moose milk as the lube. These were home cast .490 roundball. And I used 4f as the primer. At no time did I swab the bore of this rifle. I just kept shooting and shooting. Now granted I did swab off the flint, and the frizzen. But the rifle behaved and shot perfect again.

This rifle is ready to hunt. Any of them shots at that distance would have been in the kill zone of a whitetail. The ball hits exactly on top of the front sight.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Fine shooting Cayugad. My Great Plains is the same way with olive oil lubed patches. It shoots without swabbing for as long as you can last. But I don't own any 4F. Always use 3F in the pan. This time of the year I have to wipe the pan after every shot or I get black soup from the fouling.

Did you have any "klatch/no poofs" or flashes in the pan?
Old 08-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is very nice with those open sights.
Art
Old 08-21-2010, 04:31 AM
Fork Horn

looks like a good shooting barrel, which one would I get to fit my old Cabelas Hawkins? Isn't it the same as the trade rifle?
Old 08-21-2010, 07:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by caplock
looks like a good shooting barrel, which one would I get to fit my old Cabelas Hawkins? Isn't it the same as the trade rifle?
That I can not say. I know the Green Mountain Barrel fits the T/C Hawkins/Renegades and it fits the Trade rifle. I am not sure if it fits the Cabela's Hawkins. Before I purchase one, I would call Lyman and ask them if that barrel would fit the Cabela's Investarms Hawkins. I would like to say it does, but I would hate to see you get stuck with a barrel. I am guessing that the 15/16th would be the one you want.