Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Soft Touch - Affordable Cure for slippery stock?

Old 08-13-2010, 08:22 PM
Banned

Default Soft Touch - Affordable Cure for slippery stock?

Anyone have a rifle with the soft touch coating on the stock? our apex and v2 has it and i liked it a lot due to the added grip it offers. I had been talking to my brother about it and said, They have to make something like that available to anyone!

Well today i went to Napa auto parts and took a look around for valve lapping compound and ran into a couple cans of paint.

The product i found is called Plasti Dip , Multi purpose rubber coating.

I bought an 11oz can for $12 after tax and took the butt plate off the mountain stalker i got from cayugad to test this product on.

Freakin awesome stuff! This stuff is harder than the soft touch that CVA/Traditions offers on their guns and the rubberized feel seems harder. By "harder" i mean is actually has that hard rubber feel to it of something like a recoil pad.

i cleaned up the stock and applied one coat, gave it a good hour as i did put it on quite a bit thicker than i intended to ( lights in the shop fell out so a flash light was needed) After that hour i went out to inspect it and it was beautiful! Very nice feel to it. I added another coat and just have to wait for it to dry and add the final third coat.

They had both Black and clear but i noticed the cap was gloss black so i decided to stick with the basic clear. It does ad a bit of shininess but not bad at all. Most likely will dull out after some field use.

But what an awesome thing to find! I'll be sure to post pictures tomorrow when the rifle is put all back together.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

i had my slippery omega stock coated with the rubber grip coating. had it done by a big online hydro dipping company. problem is that it wears off and sheds like peeling sunburned skin after a while.it does add a cool feel to the stock especially the omega stock that for some reason has no texturing to it at all.i think thompson center should re-design that stock. its slippery like an eel. duracoat offers a coating too. sounds like the stuff you bought is different. give us a report at the end of the season as to how it holds up.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Banned

Alright i rushed on the black mountain stalker and you'll see the area where i put to much spray for to long. But hey, we always get better as we work with it more right? LOL

I taped off the Hunterbolt carefully, cut all the tape then wrapped it in news paper and taped the seams to seal it all off tightly. I only did the grip panels on the camo rifle as the rest i felt fine with.

With the Rubberized coating on it, its no shiner than the Factory Camo Hunterbolt.

My oopies for doing that stock at night,

Can't see anything but it certainly does a great job when you hold it in your hands. Its a great feeling, especially if its either raining or snowing, you wont lose your grip.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Dominant Buck

nice looking rifles there. Let us know how durable that stuff is. I have a rifle or two I would not mind doing that too.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

Looks like I found my next project, seems like great idea you only did the grip panels (checkered areas) right, not the butt stock..
Old 08-17-2010, 07:52 AM
Banned

on the mountain stalker * black rifle * i did the entire stock. Just the grip panels on the camo rifle.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Banned

Okay guys i spent some time with the rifle on the range today and wanted to give an update and some info on how to keep this from happening.

First picture you'll notice on the little grips it self that some are peeling.

What caused that to happen?

My Lead Sled,

Now in this picture you'll see some peeling around the edges.

My masking tape was old and didnt stick well during the process and excess rubberized coating got under there and onto the actual stock itself. I normally hold the rifle in that area and my fingers rubbing up against it was pulling on it and caused the peeling. Solution: Run a razor blade all the way around the grip panel and cut off any extra over spray.