Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Triumph vs Bone Collector

Old 08-14-2010, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP
Regular Triumph "vs" the BC Version= Pure market gimmick BS.
I will second this UNLESS, you need the shorter LOP. If it feels right for you and you like it, go for it! It's your gun, you should be happy with it.

I'm assuming you want something new which is why you suggested the Triumph, but just to get the gray matter moving, can I suggest a used gun? I also hunt in CO almost every year (have family there) so I understand the conical deal. There isn't a better conical shooter than a White. They're a little harder to find but it is WELL worth the money. Just a thought.

Best of luck to you and your purchase.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

My Triumph will shoot one big hole with 3 shot with either FPB or the Thor and they both do a wonderful job on game. I personally do not buy from a company that has gone out of business as you can not assume parts will be available for any great length of time and I have kept guns I like for close to 40 years now and running.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Not all agree with sabot loader on a Omega being better than a Triumph I am keeping my Triumph and selling my Omega. I like the Triumph better for quite a few reasons, first off it shoots better it likes heavier loads it is easy to cap in a hurry even with gloves on [which the Omega is not] I like the mechanism better it is more fun to tune, I have never heard of a bedding problem with a Triumph.
The only thing the Omega has over the Triumph in my opinion is that you can get it in SS If they ever come out with SS in a Triumph I will immediately order one.
Lee, do not get me wrong, I do like my Triumph also and it is a great shooter, but I do like the Omega as an all-around life-time gun much better. And just for me the action is a lot easer to work on than the Triumph.

It really is all just a personal thing... I really do like a solid one piece barreld action for a rifle, a break action is fine for a shotgun.

You are a bench shooting champion - how many brake action rifles do you see @ a National Shoot? There has got to be a reason.

I thought you did make some adjustments to the forearm to control harmonics.

Capping an Omega is fairly simple especially if you are using a 25ACP. I use the SR mag primer for BH and a SR primer for T7 - they work great but even then if you choose to use a 209 they have a 10 primer straight-line capper just for that so you are not handling the 209 at all, with or without gloves.

And like you I really do prefer SS...
Old 08-14-2010, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mike, I do not believe we will ever agree on which is best. Personal choices and preferences always enter into it. And yes I did sand the cheek pad so the did not touch the receiver and put a couple of washers in the forearm to float it I did that before I ever shot it as a personal preference. Can not go wrong with either gun but the Triumph is the only hunting type gun I have had in a muzzle loader that stayed with my bench gun at 200 yds. I guess I just like it a lot.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by lemoyne
I personally do not buy from a company that has gone out of business as you can not assume parts will be available for any great length of time and I have kept guns I like for close to 40 years now and running.
Lee, I couldn't agree more and this is one of the main reasons why I have decided on T/C and the Triumph. The 2 MLs that my dad bought in the past were both not very popular and parts are impossible. The first was a Knight T-Bolt, which uses weird caps and none of the 209 conversions from Knight say they will work for the T-Bolt. It also has really bad sights. The second one is a Remington bolt-action 209, which is actually fairly nice except the breach plug is a pain to take out and a tool is required to seat the cap. On top of that the blowback gets the action very dirty and some have complained that if you hold it a certain way it can get your hand, although I have never had the problem. One question I have on the lever action is are they as safe as a bolt? As far as gloves are concerned for usage; CO weather is unpredictable, but in the past 6 years it has only snowed once and it was 70-80 the day before and the day after. Our ML season is usually during nice weather.

Also, someone suggested that I look at small stores; I don't know about where you guys live, but around here only the really big stores carry ML. Bass Pro, Sportsman's Warehouse and Gander Mtn are the only ones I know of, but I may order online to get it cheaper, especially after the price Gander quoted me for a camo BC($630 + tax).

Lee, do you have the standard Triumph or the BC?