Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Gettin' Ready For the Hunt

Old 07-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gettin' Ready For the Hunt

Blizzards and lion have led our fish and game to cut back on deer tags in the Black Hills. This will force me to hunt out on the prairie, if i want to put enough meat in the freezer. So, i figured it was time i tried shooting with a stick to help me hold the sights on the target, beins how there are no trees to brace the rifle on out on the prairie. We can use scopes on our rifles during rifle season, but not during muzzle loader season. This morning, these rifles and stick went with, up into the hills.

We have had quite a bit or rain this spring and summer, so the brush is thigh high on me. Couldn't put the target where i normally do, because of the brush bein' so high, so i put in in the road where there was a big curve, and a good back stop. It is 97 yard, and one can barely see it in the first picture.

It sure is hard for me to shoot standing on my hind legs. The rifle won't stop moving, and i tend to miss too much. The stick helps some, and practice seemed to help some too. Forcing myself to relax was hard to do, but it was helpful. Here is what happened with the Accura.

It seemed like i was getting some better with more and more shots, but i fought with jerking the trigger, and i don't think i actually squeezed the trigger very many times. What it seems like is happening, is i am trying to pull the trigger fast, with control. Breathing and squeezing is hard for me, when the rifle sights are a wobbling all over the target.

After a dozen shots with the Accura i switched to the Triumph, and seemed to do better. It seems, being able to 'see' the target and the sights makes for better shooting. It is hard for me to see the front sight, when not using a scope, and it is hard to see what looks like a tiny tiny aim point.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dead deer on both targets Ron. No way could I make an off-hand shot at that range without a rest.

Well, I'm packed up and heading for the range. Going to be shooting the .50 GM/LRH Renegade this week end. See you guys Sunday.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ron, If you can relax your shoulder till they are almost limp and squeeze with your thumb and trigger-finger like you are trying to touch the end of your thumb it will help you get past the jerking. Lee
Old 07-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Ron, If you can relax your shoulder till they are almost limp and squeeze with your thumb and trigger-finger like you are trying to touch the end of your thumb it will help you get past the jerking. Lee
You know, that sounds like it could work.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:11 AM
mountaineer magic

I live just south of you on the Pine Ridge reservation, so I always hunt the prarie ,the sand hills and the shelter belts on the farms . This is the first year I ever applied for a Black Hills tag.( don't know where to go up there yet) There are more deer than can be harvested around here. If you hunt in 65 or 11 county give me a holler, I have some good hunting spots I can share. ( White Tail and Mulies)

Old 07-25-2010, 06:21 AM
Dominant Buck

shooting off a free standing stick is hard.. very good shooting. I personally use a short shooting stick that I shoot from (if possible) off a sitting position. I like to get my back to a tree and then just use the stick as a rest. But that is really good shooting. Was that with a scope or with the peep sight?
Old 07-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by chetmarks
I live just south of you on the Pine Ridge reservation, so I always hunt the prarie ,the sand hills and the shelter belts on the farms . This is the first year I ever applied for a Black Hills tag.( don't know where to go up there yet) There are more deer than can be harvested around here. If you hunt in 65 or 11 county give me a holler, I have some good hunting spots I can share. ( White Tail and Mulies)
When we near the end of January, i may give you a holler. It will depend on the snow and my prior success.

I have spent most of the last 45 year living and hunting in Montana. Recently we moved back here, where we were born and raised. I have hunted 2 muzzle loader seasons in the hills, and one regular rifle season. I sure liked it the first year when i purchased 5 tags and used them in the hills to fill our freezer. Last year was a different story, and this year will be more of the same.

If you have a gps, i can give you accurate coordinate locations to where i have had success hunting deer in the hills. I usually hunt very close to Rapid, except when i travel to Montana, and hunt the last week of October, and the first 2 weeks of November. I haven't been able to put in for a non-resident Elk tag up there lately, because of the $600 or so cost. I just enjoy the hunting camp, and hunt for whitetail doe at $80.

I'll start this season hunting government land in 21A during the antelope season, and then off to Montana, and then perhaps hunt to fill my BD2 or BD3 tag till the end of November, and then wait for the muzzle loader season to commence.

I am guessing you put in for the BH1 tag, and if so, i can give you the coordinates for a couple three places to start your quest to fill the tag.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
shooting off a free standing stick is hard.. very good shooting. I personally use a short shooting stick that I shoot from (if possible) off a sitting position. I like to get my back to a tree and then just use the stick as a rest. But that is really good shooting. Was that with a scope or with the peep sight?
The top target was done with a peep sight on the Accura; the bottom one was done with a 4x scope on the Triumph. I like using the scope much better than the iron sights, but we aren't allowed scopes during our muzzle loader season. The regular rifle season is fun for me, because i can use a scope, but sometimes i get nervous around other hunters. The forest is devoid of hunters during the muzzle loader season in the middle of the week.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Went shooting off the stick some more today, at 102 yard. Used the scoped Triumph for all the shooting. Fired 14 shots; here is the target.

Here is what the bottom of the scope looked like, after maybe...........30 shot or so, the last three day.

Stopped along side the road on the way home, and snapped this picture of Spring Creek.

Here is a box of spent primer. From the Accura on the left and bottom. From the Triumph on the right.

Here are a few fired in the Triumph the last 3 day.

Here are primer fired in the Accura when the o-ring was in service.

After i redid the primer seat in the Accura, and left about 0.013" less head space than factory, the primers look like this.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dang, that Spring Creek picture sure is pretty. Makes me want to take a dip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.