Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Gettin' Ready For the Hunt

Old 07-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Ron, If you are willing to spend the extra money you should get a pair of bi-pods. I used a pair of the first time last year. Extended them out to where the gun perfect for a standing shot, then clipped them together and used it as a walking stick. Was able to shoot a doe at 350 yards on the run. I have the Vanguard Leader B62. Got them at scheels. DONT buy stoney point. The old model was good but the new ones are cheaply made. Mine extends all the way down to 2ft 6in. Good enough for sitting down and shooting. Also you can take the top off and mount your spotting scope to the bipods. I think I paid 50 or 60 dollars. You'll be amazed of how much better you'll shoot with them. I was also told to hold the bi-pod and not the rifle when shooting.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the name 50calty. Think I'll order one.

http://www.adorama.com/VGLB62C.html
Old 07-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Great to see other SD hunters on this site, I'm on the east side, Hartford area. After hunting antelope 2 years ago with my black diamond all I can say is "bipod". Really helps tighten up those groups in the open country. On an other note, if GF&P doesn't do something about way too many cats out there in a few years you wont be able to draw a license for anything in the hills.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by caplock
Great to see other SD hunters on this site, I'm on the east side, Hartford area. After hunting antelope 2 years ago with my black diamond all I can say is "bipod". Really helps tighten up those groups in the open country. On an other note, if GF&P doesn't do something about way too many cats out there in a few years you wont be able to draw a license for anything in the hills.
The fish and game has recently completed a lion management plan for the state of South Dakota. It is my understanding that it is thought there are near 250 permanent lion in the hills; it is my understanding, they have a goal of reducing this number to 175 lion. Hopefully this will bring about an increase in deer.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

50calty

That bipod you recommended looks pretty slick!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off nice Picture of the Creek, it looks Beautiful where you live. I cant see the reasoning in the NO Scope rule for ML Season, here in NY they figured it would cut back on the Wounding as older Hunters and Hunters in general would see there target better with a scope. I know some will say ML is Traditional and a scope has no place on one, but when you owe your best shot to the Animals we hunt a scope does serve that porpouse, Especially for you in the Open Prairie where you need longer shots.
Have you tried any after market Fiber Optic Sights on your ACCURA? I know the ones it comes with ar'nt that great. Also a shot has to be a Surprise and when you know your going to pull the trigger it not a surprise and you anticipate your shot thus causing you to jerk sometimes. You may want to try this, get a leather glove for your shooting hand, if you cant feel the trigger then you wont know when the shot is going to go off, plus the ACCURA has light triger pull and that will help too. Im also a accomplished archer and shoot many tournaments so as with a BOW and ML you want the shot to be a surprise, I do this, when Im on target I say focus, focus, focus, focus as Im slowly pulling back the trigger untill it goes off and when it does it's a suprise, this will really tighten up your groups.
Enjoy the Beautiful Country you Hunt and hope you get a Nice Buck.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
50calty

That bipod you recommended looks pretty slick!
Yeah, like I said, if you can swing the extra cash I would get one. After my first year with one, I wouldnt hunt with out one. For timber hunting its a little bulky but you can easily tie it to your pack or throw it down for the quick shot if needed.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Breechplug

Well, i managed to make it out yesterday to shoot off the stick at 103yd, and experienced a surprise in more ways than one. This trip i took the Omega X7 with a peep sight, and the Triumph with a 4X scope. The trigger on the X7 turned out to be the best trigger i have tried off the stick. A couple three time, it came near to jumping out of my hands when the primer went off. After i became some used to it, i began to enjoy the 'surprise' when the trigger let go. It seems this is going to be a big help in my quest to learn how to shoot a deer off the stick. Here is the target with 16 shot from the X7.

After shooting the X7, the Triumph trigger felt heavy, and it was very difficult for me to get it to 'surprise' me. What i experienced is pulling on the trigger, pulling on the trigger, pulling on the trigger, and most of the time kinda giving up, and jerking it, because i wanted to start normal breathing. Here is a target with 10 shots from the Triumph.

It surprised me how good the trigger on my old X7 is. I never noticed this, compared to the other rifles off a good rest. The quality of this trigger may change what rifles i carry this next season. The 'surprise' i experienced when the hammer dropped, whilst trying to hold on the target, was a wonderful feeling. The trigger on the Triumph is a bit to hard to suit me. The minor creep in the trigger of the Accura, keeps me from being totally 'surprised' when the hammer falls.

Here is a link to a video of an officer doing his job, in what used to be a 'sleepy' little town in Western Montana---Hamilton..
Old 07-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

I have been shooting my Traditions Pursuit and started usinig the BH209 with a barnes T-EZ 245gr. bullet. I had read on here somewhere that it was recommended to start with 120gr. of powder due to the bullet being fairly long and helping it stabilize in flight. The trigger pull on my gun is outrageous! I have also read on here that the Traditions is notorious for this and that messing with the trigger can cause it to be pretty dangerous. I am stuck with the gun for now as I dont want to spend the money to replace it. With the bullet/powder set up it is kicking like a mule. So far I have been able to overcome the flinching and have gotten some pretty nice groups, but I can only shoot it about twenty times before my shoulder feels like burger. It seems like it takes an enternity to pull that dang trigger and when it goes off, OUCH! I am a pretty big fellar and can take a lot of pain, but I am just being honest here. Since you all were talking about flinching and all, do any of you experience fellas have any suggestions? My obvious inclination is to start using less powder and seeing how the gun responds, but wanted to get the set up dialed in before I start switching powder amount. Any help would be appreciated. Budman-
Old 07-27-2010, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

mackesr
It sounds like you are either holding the gun away from your shoulder or out on or past the shoulder joint. Either will cause "ouch" instead of the push you should be experiencing. Check your form, stand with one foot pointing at the target and the other at right angle to it. Make sure the stock is snug against your chest just inside the shoulder joint[actually the junction of chest and shoulder]. Do not pull the trigger squeeze between the thumb and fore finger tensing the muscles between the wrist and shoulder and in the shoulder is what sets up a jerk on the trigger which moves the gun before it goes off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.