Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Triumph Breech Plug

Old 04-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default Triumph Breech Plug

When I bought my Bone Collector I forgot to check the size of hole for a drill bit. Well long and stupied story short I got a drill bit stuck in the breech plug and had to buy a new one. In checking what drill bit I needed. A 1/8 drill bit fits perfect, however when I had my prohunter I was using a 1/16. Is there that big of a difference? Or did I happen to get a faulty breech plug?
Old 04-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Were you taking carbon out by hand? If you did not cut any metal it is fixable.
If you were cutting metal pull up the breach plug modifications by myself and Sabotloader and look them over.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

Well I somehow got the drill bit stuck and it broke. So there was noo way I was getting it out.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

50calty

The flash channel of a Triumph breech plug is indeed 1/8" diameter. I presume the Bone Collector is the same. I am guessing you thought it was 1/16", and started into the flash hole, and it caught. The flash hole is only about 1/8" long so you don't want to remove much material there. If you can't back out the 1/16" drill with a vise grip or some such, you obviously won't be able to use the breech plug.

If it were mine, i would go ahead, and do what i could to remove the drill, and if it broke off, i would install a vent liner. If you aren't comfortable installing a vent liner, mail the breech plug to me if you wish, and i will make it usable for you.

The carbon in the flash channel, when one is using BH209, is so hard it seems like part of the breech plug; it sure fooled me the first time i experienced it; i was positive the flash channel in my Omega breech plug was less than 1/8", until i purchased a new one, and it became obvious the carbon had me thinking it was steel.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:56 AM
Typical Buck

On this new breech plug I put the drill bit in and marked it with duck tape. So from now on I know when to stop or if I need to go further. Thats what I did on my prohunter and I guess I was too excited when the bone collector showed up that I forgot to do it. And I did try using vise grips and the bit broke right off. It's pluged for good, but I was lucky enough to pick up the new breech plug and it was on sale. So it wasn't so bad.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 50calty
................ It's pluged for good...............
As i mentioned before, one can install a vent liner, and it could be your breech plug will be 'better' than new. Mailing a breech plug, in a padded envelope costs less than $2 postage.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Typical Buck

Ron, I would have loved to send you the breech plug. BUT I already threw it out! (Yeah I know stupied move)