Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remington Genesis

Old 03-31-2010, 10:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Remington Genesis

Today I decided to shoot the Remington Genesis. I wanted to burn off some pellets I had around the house and to try some new loads in the rifle. This Genesis normally shoots pellets extremely well. Today was no exception

I started off with a clean barrel and dropped down two 50 grain Triple Seven pellets. I was interested to see how the rifle shot a heavier then normal bullet. I usually shoot a 200 grain or 250 grain. But I got a deal on some 300 grain Hornady SST with a supplied black sabot.

Why the rifle threw two high like that I am not sure. I can understand the first, being a clean barrel. I was swabbing between shots. But as I remember all of them loaded about the same. Very tight and slid down the bore kind of hard. But I was pleased with the accuracy.

I then got some Simple Green and swabbed the barrel clean. I made sure it was dry and ready to go. I then loaded 120 grains of Goex 2f and the same 300 grain Hornady SST. I kind of guessed this would be a max load for the rifle.

I never kept track of the shots other then the first hit. I was having too much fun. In that new box of Hornady SST's it said there were 20 projectiles and sabots. I shot six at the other target. And there are four left in the box. So this is a ten shot group. Every time I shot I could see the hole get a little bigger. And the smoke from 120 grains of Goex is really something when it covers the back yard. It was a lot of fun, and the rifle did real well with the big charge.

I was then guessing that clean up was going to be a chore. Well it was not. There was no blow back from the breech plug, nothing on the belly of the scope. And I took one saturated Windex patch and swabbed the bore.

I was shocked the bore was that clean with one patch. It made me wonder if this Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner really is working. I mean, black powder scares people because of the fouling and mess. Well I did not find that to be true at all. And outside shooting black powder the smoke and stink is really a lot of fun.

Over all the rifle did great. It had a great scope. And the weather conditions were almost perfect. It was windy, but sunny and warm. I can not wait to try this load at 100+ distances.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

WOW!! That a dandy 10-shot group Cayugad. It seems that everyone who bought a Genesis during that sale is getting great results with them.

As you know, I'm a GOEX fan. But I've never had a one patch clean up like that. I have a bottle of that bore conditioner sitting in the closet and have never gotten around to serious experimenting with it. I guess I'll have to give it a go - maybe try it in the GP flintlock.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Dominant Buck

The reason I took the shot down the bore was... I was shocked as well. When I first looked through it, WOW!! it was filthy. And the patch that came out was filthy, but then holding it up to the light to check the threads, I see a almost clean bore... I was shocked. I have been using that bore conditioner in a lot of my rifles and have been very pleased with it so far.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

Dave,
Great shooting......... I had a blast tinkering with mine in Va a few weeks ago. If I could change one thing on the gun the trigger needs some work other than that I am more than happy with mine. Ever try the FPB's in yours? I pulled the Omega off mine and put a $40 Traditions scope on. During spring turkey I let everyone know how the scope preformed.
Chuck
Old 03-31-2010, 04:08 PM
Dominant Buck

I actually have shot FPB's out of it and they did great. A little hard to load, but once you got them seated they were real accurate. Now my trigger is perfect. I would not change a thing with the rifle. And the Omega scope sure makes that a nice shooting outfit. I want to try some longer ranges. There is a "pay to shoot" range about 40 miles from me. He has a 200 yard range. I really think I might spring for a day's shooting and try that and a few other rifles at long range. Just to see...
Old 03-31-2010, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Them ugly guns can shoot..
Old 04-02-2010, 12:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome groups Dave! Makes me wish I had kept mine.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice Dave, very nice. Now I have a question for you. With all those good shooting MLs, how do you decide which one you're going to use when it comes time to fill your tag?
Old 04-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Dominant Buck

That's easy... I close my eyes, spin around in a circle until confused (which is easy to do) and point at the wall. The one I am pointing at gets to go into the woods.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting and a great report as always.Been busy spring cleaning on everything.But at least i can find time to read about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.