Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Bone Collector

Old 03-11-2010, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Triump really likes the .250 gr barnes TEZ bullets and drives tacks with 90-110 gr loose 777. 110 gr seems to be max before accuracy drops.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

We hunt between Neihart and White Sulphur. Our son hunts country inhabited by Pika, and has been very successful on Elk. I don't much care for hunting up there in the talus. Sometime, the Elk live in the rocks, when they get a lot of pressure. The country is fit only for goats and sheep, but the Elk know how to eat, live, and walk through talus slopes that go forever. We do find them in real pretty spots sometimes. I have been looking at a long ridge for years, that more or less parallels highway 12 between Harlow, and Martinsdale, but it is so far from camp, i will never hunt it.

Nowaday, i have just been countin' coup on Elk when ever i can. Out of state Elk tags cost $593. When we first hunted Elk, the tags cost $1. Once, i purchased a non-resident tag, and it just wasn't worth it to me. My whitetail doe tag cost me around $85 last year, and for that i get to walk around, look for Elk, and maybe kill a deer. Last year's early deep snow made it tough for me though.

Don't completely eliminate those Speer 300g Gold Dot or Deep Curl bullet; they are at least worth a look.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah that early snow put a damper on alot of things. Started the opening day of antelope and drove everything on private between Harlow and Martinsdale. I'll have to see if I can find a box of the Speer 300g Gold dot.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

I have killed more deer with theHornaday 300 gr. XTP in the last eight years.

I recently upgraded my NEF Sidekick with a new breech plug and now shoot 85 grs of BH209 and the 300 gr XTP and am still getting great groups. When you got a good setup, you need to stay with what is proven.

All ya gotta do is look in my deep freezer at all the meat in it.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

Hey guys! Finally got to take my new Bone Collector out to the range today. Started out with 80 grains of BlackHorn with the 300grain XTP Bullet. Had about .75" group at 50 yards. At 100 it wasn't so hot. I have a Mueller Quick Shot on it, but I don't think its going to work. Wearing glasses doesn't work with open sights or red dot scope. No matter what I did, I just couldn't see the target good enough at hundred. So I went shopping after the range and low and behold my local Scheel's had an Nikon Omega scope for $200, 70 dollars off the MSRP. So I picked it up. I wish I could shoot open sights, but my eyes can't do it. So for my sake and the sake of wild game I will use a scope. I hope to maybe get out tommorrow, but my shoulder is kinda sore. Love the gun, I think its better than my old ProHunter. Easier to clean and on the breech plug I had NO blow back. Better than what I can say about the ProHunter. I'm using the TC super guide sabots. I really like them but can't find any more locally? Anybody know where I can get some besides TC website? The next time I go out I will try and remember to take pictures.