Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another Out of Date Inline

Old 03-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Another Out of Date Inline

I wasn't planning on this, it just happened.
I came across a NIB model 93 Gonic at a price I couldn't refuse. The big brown truck brought it on Friday. It looks real nice, I'll take a pic when I get a chance to shoot it. It has a fast twist barrel like a White. I would say the reciever is not built as heavy as a White though. It also has a Bold Trigger which is very nice. I will have to get some smaller conicals to shoot. The bore on this thing is very tight, it must be right at .500.
If anyone has any experience with this gun I would appreciate any tips.
Art
Old 03-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Dominant Buck

I heard they are great conical shooters. I can't wait for the range report.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Oh-boy, oh-boy, oh-boy! Shooting reports will be coming on a gun I know nothing about. Fast twist? How fast?
Old 03-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

It has a 1 in 24 inch twist. I think No Excuses makes conicals for this bore size. It might be a while for the range report. The gun seems really solid, The breech plug is not removable but I don't think that is the end of the world.
Art
Old 03-08-2010, 03:39 AM
Fork Horn

Isn't that a coincidence, I just bought a Gonic that looks like an encore, in fact I think you can use encore barrels on it. Laminated thumb hole stock with stainless barrel. Have to pick it up this morning. Will post pictures later today. Not a real lot of info on the Gonic but I think after Gonic went out of business PR bullets took over making the sabots for the tighter bore that Gonic was making.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Well here are the pictures, I only shot it two times to see if it was blackhorn friendly and it is, I pulled the trigger, and it just went bang immediately. Now I just have to get some of the sobots that were made for the Gonics tight bore. I used crushed ribs and the smallest .45 bullets I could find and had a really hard time getting them down. Kinda cool, You flip the lever on the hammer and you can go from center fire to rim fire, which ever barrel you are using.

Last edited by dphobby; 03-08-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very interesting. I will get some pictures up of my model 93 soon. It don't look anything like yours. It looks like yours has the same plastic rear sight as mine though, I am going to try and find a peep sight that will work.
Art
Old 03-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is a plain jane model 93

\
The reciever and action remind me of a g-series White with the ****ing lever on the left and thetrigger safety on the right. It is not nearly as "beefy" as the White though. I would say not as well thought out either. You need to have a slotted screwdriver to get the end cap off the reciever as there is a small bolt pinning it in place instead of having it thread into the reciever. The barrel has no taper it is .970 from front to rear. The trigger is a Bold that looks to be of high quality and feels just right to me.
I guess the proof will be in the pudding when I get a chance to shoot it but for what I paid I can't hardly go wrong on it.
Art
Old 03-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those Gonic's are supposed to be real shooters, would love to get my paws on one. Can't wait to here the report on yours.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

It looks like they must have cut the stock to length after it was painted and it chipped out. I am going to have to touch that up, it looks worse in the pictures than in person. I like the synthetic stock, it feels real solid and the barrel and reciever fit it perfectly.
Art

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.