Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

2009 Accura blue/black or 2010 Optima ss black

Old 02-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default 2009 Accura blue/black or 2010 Optima ss black

I am looking for some advice. I have single malt scotch taste on a current beer budget. My taste runs towards the $500 plus rifles and my budget says around $250.00.
The prices Cabela's has on the 2009 Accura and the 2010 Optima are in my budget. The Accura is blue black and as corrsive as bp is would I be better off getting the SS Optima? Or is the Accura by far a better rifle than the Optima and the extra cleaning the blueing takes worth it?

Thanks for your imput.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't worry about getting stainless steel. Look around and see how many blued guns there are. I'd opt accura, getting what I think is the nicer gun, and forgetting what I don't see as much advantage.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Z
Don't worry about getting stainless steel. Look around and see how many blued guns there are. I'd opt accura, getting what I think is the nicer gun, and forgetting what I don't see as much advantage.
Having used both I will say I much prefer a stainless barrel on the muzzle loader. Now if I got another deal like the Remington Genesis deal I'd get another blued one. Otherwise I highly doubt I'd buy another blued one.

I have a friend trying to sell an older Knight that I could have picked up for right over $50. I decided not to because I don't want another blued one and I really like the 209 primers and it used musket caps. I may pick it up later if he never sells it I'm not sure but the bluing is the biggest thing holding me back. I've always said my next one would be stainless unless I get a great deal on a blued one.

Now there are lots of others that love their blued ones. For me I just like the stainless steel. It's 100% a personal preference though.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you take care of your ML and clean it properly, there's no real advantage to getting stainless steel, unless you like the look of it. Stainless steel can corrode and rust too - just not as easily as a blued barrel.

I'd shoulder both of them and see which one you like better & pick that one.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cabela's now has the ACCURA Stainless Steel Barrel/Black Swirl Stock on sale for $279, a great deal. Im not sure what they are selling the Optima/SS for but I prefer the ACCURA over the Optima.
(BP)
Old 02-26-2010, 12:18 AM
Typical Buck

I already have an blued Accura and like was said above if you take care of them you will not have any problems. Love the rifle, great trigger and very accurate. Going to buy the new and redesigned Optima in Stainless if Cabelas ever gets them in.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by oldsmellhound
If you take care of your ML and clean it properly, there's no real advantage to getting stainless steel, unless you like the look of it. Stainless steel can corrode and rust too - just not as easily as a blued barrel.

I'd shoulder both of them and see which one you like better & pick that one.
Yeah it's just 100% user preference. I'm super picky about keeping my guns clean but it seems like with stainless steel you have a little more time to work with it before it rusts. If you leave it for a day or two before you can clean it it seems fine where as my blued Remington Genesis if you do that it seems to start rusting. Now I will say the Remington Genesis isn't the highest quality finish so maybe that's why. A true blued one may do a lot better. I like like having stainless steel as a backup in case I don't get it clean right away. That doesn't mean everyone needs or even wants it. Like I said just a personal preference.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies.
All my center fire rifles, shotguns and pistols are blued. My revolvers are stainless. I have never had any problems with rust/corrosion with blued weapons. The rust issue has been answered. If you take the propper care of the ml rifles there is no rust issues.