Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Strange Hits

Old 01-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Dominant Buck

krypt keeper... so the old scope was bad? WOW!
Old 01-29-2010, 04:29 AM
Typical Buck

I bought the gun from a buddy of mine who bought a newer .45 He told me the scope was an older Redfield but was solid as a rock. He gave me the gun and some powder and sabots to try it out. Well the first 3 shots all cloverleafed and knew the gun wasn't going back. Hunted with it for a season and making boiler room shots was perfect. Even shot a doe with it at 40 yards that completly blew the heart off the arteries, when dressing out the deer the heart was just floating around in the chest cavity.

Then with the next season coming up I took it out and shot it again to make sure she was grouping the same. All the shots were dead on cloverleafing still. 2 days later is when the fail to fire happened and when it did fire it was way off.

Like I said I missed the deer which made me furious, but at the same time I am glad I did. I would hate to wound a deer and not be able to find it. I take alot of pride into my shooting believe in making the best shot on game to give them the quickest respectable death. If the gun isn't right or I do not like the shot I am given I will not take that gun or take the shot. Being out in nature is rewarding enough, seeing deer is a bonus, getting a shot it the cherry on top.

I don't know what happened to the scope, I am super careful when transporting and guess after the last shot on paper she gave up. I did try adjusting it back but the shots were just bouncing around. So she sat for a yr or more with me having no faith in it. I put on another scope and she is back to drilling the 10 spot.

Just shows that anything can fail at any time.