Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Will other powder companies follow suit??

Old 01-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Spike

Default Will other powder companies follow suit??

Well, i have officially went through three ten ounce jugs of BH209. Shot with 5 different mls, have yet to have a mis-hangfire or any other problems. Had one gun loaded for a week and it went off fine. Cleanup check, accuracy check, lack of arm fatigue from swabbing check. I know some will say price, but that's not that big a deal. I see no reason not to shoot it in any modern inline. My ? is, will hodgdon and other companies follow suit and come out with a comparable version? Or is pyrodex here to stay...
Old 01-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Banned

Im shooting American Pioneer which doesnt require swabbing. Its super clean, accurate as heck in the rifles ive tried it in, cleans up easier than BH209, no chemicals needed, no worry about carbon build up in the breech plug. It runs about $25 a pound which is what i used to pay for pyrodex. No crud ring, cant forget that! lol.

i shoot a lot so having a powder thats easy to buy in my area is one of the most important parts not to over look.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Availability in some areas is a major issue. Never seen it in IN and had never laid eyes on it until I stopped at a Cabelas in MT. I won't shoot something I can't buy at any local sporting goods store.

Cost may not be a big deal for some, but it still scares me!!

I just don't have a problem with 777. I'd probably still swab for accuracy with BH, heck some guys still swab with smokeless MLs and swear it makes a difference.

The TLC I've heard about for the carbon in the BP seems like a lot more work than the quick Q-tip wipe-down I do for 777. I seriously clean my ML in 5-7 min, and most of that time is getting the BP screwed out and put back in.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

bleeohio

For me the cost of BH is significant as compared to T7.... I shoot 7/8 pounds of it each season and if you start adding up cost per shot it really does get expensive and for me T7 offeres most everything that BH does. If I were an occasional shooter you can bet your sweet bippy I would be shooting BH...

I keep hoping that another company will come up with something... actually IMR (which is really a Hodgdon company) has a powder built exactly like BH (stucture - not loading characteristics) and it is still $20 per pound
Old 01-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Spike

MD, i'll admit, i've never tried AP powder so i'm not up to snuff on the positives of that brand. My experience has been with bp, pyro loose and pellets, trip7 loose and pellets and for me, the infamous crud ring seems to follow me wherever i go. Guess i just got giddy over not having to worry about that with BH. May have to give AP a look before i toot the BH horn any more...thanks
Old 01-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by spaniel
I seriously clean my ML in 5-7 min, and most of that time is getting the BP screwed out and put back in.
I actually spent close to 2 hours giving my Accura and entire cleaning job. I mean everything! Even the rubber butt pad got some cleaner I flushed out the internals, scrubbed the barrel, BP threads, everything. I just dont like having my investment hang on the wall all dirty!

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 01-22-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bleeohio
MD, i'll admit, i've never tried AP powder so i'm not up to snuff on the positives of that brand. My experience has been with bp, pyro loose and pellets, trip7 loose and pellets and for me, the infamous crud ring seems to follow me wherever i go. Guess i just got giddy over not having to worry about that with BH. May have to give AP a look before i toot the BH horn any more...thanks
You'll hear that it sucks up moisture, lags power, all sorts of stuff. Im a picky person, especially with accuracy, if it doesnt do the job or gives me problems, i dont use it and let others know what i thought of it. But so far, using everything from APP 2f & 3f to JSG ( jim shockeys gold) 2f & 3f, its an accurate and reliable powder.

There are certain learning curves to the powder, like packing the projectiles onto the powder hard until you feel it compress, But other than that, its been the only powder i can use 4 different brands of 209 primers and still have excellent accuracy.

Im doing test #2 where i leave the barrel loaded for a week, bringing it inside and outside each evening after its been out in the weather all day. First test did excellent, we'll see how #2 goes in 2 days.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Spike

Spaniel, guess i never give availabiliy much thought. I have two shops within half hour of me that carry it. Good call.

Sabotloader, 7-8 pounds would last me a lifetime i think. Maybe i need to buy a few more rifles, seems once i get them sighted in, i don't shoot em much unless on game and just to check zero once in a while. Gonna have to change my priorities

I assumed(we all know how that can work out) with other brands on the wagon,, the price will come down a bit? who knows,,,all valid points though...
Old 01-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

bleeohio

i don't shoot em much unless on game and just to check zero once in a while.
Then do not even waste your time on any other powder - it really is not worth the effort. Bh will last forever, it is a smokeless progressive buring powder just like you use in a centerfire rifle.

And since you have a source - you are in fat city....
Old 01-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Spike

All powders have their pro's and con's. Each has a drawback so you have to shoot whatever works best for you. As far as leaving a ML loaded i have done that for 20 years with everything from real black powder (goex 2F) to 777 to pyrodex and had no problems with leaving it for a month or more. Keep the muzzle covered with something. The right powder is like the right bullet. NO ONE POWDER is for everyone, no more than one brand of car is. Shoot what you like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.