Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Will other powder companies follow suit??

Old 01-24-2010, 06:46 AM
Spike

Wow, gotta admit, i feel like a sixth grader at the prom. Great info though. I would think if the atf has classified it as a bp sub. they surely would have tested it. Or did they just take the word of western powders that it is a bp sub. I did love westerns ramshot in my trapshooting days though, talk about an expensive hobby....
Old 01-24-2010, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by LaneNebraska
It's not made with nitrocellulose......It's nitroEster, that's why Utah will allow it

Where did you find it's a nitro ester? I'd never heard that one before.

I found this interesting post on another forum, specifically regarding the Utah question. This is an email from someone to Western Powder and their response:

"Since there was some debate on another thread I e-mailed western powder this question!

This is the way regulations are written for Utah Muzzleloader deer hunt will Blackhorn 209 pass these regulations?
(it must be loaded with black powder or a • black powder substitute. The black powder or black power substitute cannot contain nitrocellulose-based smokeless powder.)

There response

Thank you for your business! We appreciate your support and glad to hear that you like the product.

Regarding your question.

Blackhorn 209 was specifically designed as a muzzleloading propellant for modern style in-line muzzleloading rifles.

1) Blackhorn can be loaded on a volumetric equivalent to Black Powder. This can not be done with smokeless powders.
2) Blackhorn 209 is classified by the US DOT / UN Propellant, solid, UN0499 same as T7, Pyrodex, APP, JSG, and GOEX Pinnacle. All other NC based propellants are classified as: Powder, Smokeless, UN 0161
3) Blackhorn 209 composition contains Potassium Nitrate, Charcoal, and Sulfur. Key ingredients in any black powder or substitute. Smokeless powder may contain small amounts of Potassium Nitrate but none of the other ingredients."

Note the carefully convoluted answer to completely avoid stating whether or not the powder contains nitrocellulose.

If it did not, the answer should have been very straightforward.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not only that, but they did NOT answer the question.

I have been trying to log on to the Utah DOW website for two days, and not been able to get on. Anyone know if they will be down for a while?

Last edited by txhunter58; 01-24-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Thanks Lee for making my head hurt with all that feldergarb on the powders. You be da man!!!!!!!

Old 01-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone has made some great points on various powders, not just Bh209.when i said what i did,in no way was it my intention to offend anyone or relay false information.my information came from someone in the buisness,everyone who has a stake in this buisness knows what it contains.this person stated that this is the reason the smokeless M/L companys state quite strongly to not use it in thier products.as far as being listed as a BP substitute and how the government powers to be came to that conclusion he doesn't know.my comments on utah and decision not to use BH thier came from the information i recieved from him and reading thier regulations.all that being said all the reviews on the powder concerning it's use in m/L is fantastic and at this point only the cost has kept me from trying it.again i really enjoy this forum and don't want to offend anyone and if i have i am sorry.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
Everyone has made some great points on various powders, not just Bh209.when i said what i did,in no way was it my intention to offend anyone or relay false information.my information came from someone in the buisness,everyone who has a stake in this buisness knows what it contains.this person stated that this is the reason the smokeless M/L companys state quite strongly to not use it in thier products.as far as being listed as a BP substitute and how the government powers to be came to that conclusion he doesn't know.my comments on utah and decision not to use BH thier came from the information i recieved from him and reading thier regulations.all that being said all the reviews on the powder concerning it's use in m/L is fantastic and at this point only the cost has kept me from trying it.again i really enjoy this forum and don't want to offend anyone and if i have i am sorry.

I don't think anyone was offended....