Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Will other powder companies follow suit??

Old 01-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally can live with the crud ring.i don't want to mess with any powder that has a learning curve or may draw in moisture.the only problem i see with BH other than price is that being a smokeless powder quite a few states don't allow it's use during the M/L season.we can use it here in ca but utah doesn't allow it.i may give it a try and use both lol,bh here and 777 elsewhere..then again why mess with what is working..maybe it's that kid & the candy store thing lmao!!!
Old 01-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have any states banning it's use?
Old 01-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not allowed in Utah and any other states that specifically states " no smokeless powder".it is a smokeless powder with a smoke additive.it's very popular here in california and the main reason is the easy clean up associated with it.several people i know went the entire season and didnt clean their muzzleloader barrels this is incuding sighting in prior to season to test this product.thier were no side effects what so ever.they cleaned them up after the season and stored like any other centerfire rifle.if one shoots a lot it is expensive.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

SteveBNy

None that i know of at this point because it is labeled 'Black Powder Substitute" which it is... T7 is actually a smokeless powder also, but it is not progressive burning.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
It's not allowed in Utah and any other states that specifically states " no smokeless powder".it is a smokeless powder with a smoke additive.it's very popular here in california and the main reason is the easy clean up associated with it.several people i know went the entire season and didnt clean their muzzleloader barrels this is incuding sighting in prior to season to test this product.thier were no side effects what so ever.they cleaned them up after the season and stored like any other centerfire rifle.if one shoots a lot it is expensive.
Not sure about Utah, but Colorado states "no smokeless powder" and it is definately legal there.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
SteveBNy

None that i know of at this point because it is labeled 'Black Powder Substitute" which it is... T7 is actually a smokeless powder also, but it is not progressive burning.
I agree with you about 777 being a substitue.the problem is it is not nitrocellullose based like BH 209, which puts it in the true smokeless powder catergory.this is why all the black powder firearms manufactures do not list it as as powder to use in thier weapons.laws far to often are written with gray areas unfortunately. it is "not" legal in utah and technically may not be in colorado either and some other states.could i use it in Utah and not be sighted ? probably, i wouldn't though with my luck i would get caught lol.and i am sure in the end i will stick with 777 and live with the crud ring.the only real advantage with BH over 777 is cleaning,other than that it's about a dead heat.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by sabotloader
bleeohio

For me the cost of BH is significant as compared to T7.... I shoot 7/8 pounds of it each season and if you start adding up cost per shot it really does get expensive and for me T7 offeres most everything that BH does. If I were an occasional shooter you can bet your sweet bippy I would be shooting BH...

If cost is an issue with you, why not start shooting the real deal, BP??? I get it through a friend who gets it from the store up in Winchester. Va. Next to the N-SSA Range. It comes out to about $13.00 a full pound.

You can also get it through the Internet for about $13.50 + hazmat for a case. But if you order a case it isn't much more. I shoot nothing but the real deal in all my sidelocks. It also cleans up real easy with just hot water and some WD40 afterwards. And it never fails to fire or ignite!!! Now this is just a thought. I don't wander off the BP resevation unless I am working with my inlines.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs down

I think we are mix apples with oranges. When they talk about smokeless powders, they are talking about guns that actually use that kind of powder. BH209 is not classified as a smokeless powder, but a BP substitute. A gun that would come under the classification as a smokeless ML would be the Savage model 10 I think.

Now if some uninformed moron beaurcrat in Utah is calling BH209 a smokeless powder, he is wrong and more then likely someone with an agenda of a kind.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
If cost is an issue with you, why not start shooting the real deal, BP??? I get it through a friend who gets it from the store up in Winchester. Va. Next to the N-SSA Range. It comes out to about $13.00 a full pound.

You can also get it through the Internet for about $13.50 + hazmat for a case. But if you order a case it isn't much more. I shoot nothing but the real deal in all my sidelocks. It also cleans up real easy with just hot water and some WD40 afterwards. And it never fails to fire or ignite!!! Now this is just a thought. I don't wander off the BP resevation unless I am working with my inlines.

Same here. I use the same cleaning method regardless of the powder I shoot, so why not shoot real BP? For me it's proven to be the most reliable & accurate powder available, plus it costs less. Planning on getting my inline 12 ga out tomorrow, and I'll be pouring ffg Goex down the bore.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

builder459

agree with you about 777 being a substitue.the problem is it is not nitrocellullose based like BH 209, which puts it in the true smokeless powder catergory
It is not classified as a smokeless by the ATF - it is classified as a black powder substitute... Western and/or General Dynamics will not discuss what the powder is actually made of. But unless the ATF changes it's classification it will continue to be a BP sub.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.