Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Should I let the Barrel Cool Down Between Shots?

Old 01-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Should I let the Barrel Cool Down Between Shots?

It was a nice day today so I took the ACCURA out to get some exercise. The Coyotes are getting pretty active so it's time to thin em out. As I was shooting I noticed the Barrel get's pretty warm, even hot sometimes. I lke to load em and shoot em. Should I wait a certain amount of time for the barrel to cool off? The ACCURA has a Fluted Barrel so I assumed it's suppos-to help in the cool down process, right? Does the hotter barrel make a difference in accuracy? Also sometimes I wonder if when I pour down the powder seconds after the shot if it's ever gonna be hot enough to ignite the powder, but It's never happened so I just load it and shoot.
Do you wait a certain amount of time befor reloading the powder? Anyway Im still here and the Coyote's are in trouble!
(BP)
Old 01-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

When you are group shooting yes. People have different ideas on how long between shots personally I let it cool to body temperature so when I put my hand on it if it feels warmer than my hand it cools till its not. Lee
Old 01-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Banned

Yep 3 to 5 minutes for my Accura between shots when im working with something new.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

On a usuall day of shooting I usually get about 10 shots off in a little less than a half hour. I'll shoot, and insted of looking through my Binoc's I'll walk to the target, check out the shot and come back and reload, that's all the time I give it, but most times I'll just shoot, look through the scope, see how I did and reload. No problem with accuracy. And sometimes I get 10 shots off in 20 minutes or less.
(BP)
Old 01-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Dominant Buck

I have to admit, in the winter I am not one to let the barrel cool too much. But in the warm weather I will often take three rifles to the range and switch between them, giving the barrels lots of time to cool. The problem is I end up shooting a lot of rounds on them days.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

When it's real cold (like below fifty degrees ) I don't bother to let it cool any longer than it takes to check the target, swab, and reload.

However, for final sight in and fine tuning of my hunting load I fully clean the barrel between shots and let it return to ambient temperature.

In the summer heat I try to let it cool. But I'm pretty impatient and seldom let it cool as long as I should. I've found a barrel that's getting warmer and warmer for each shot will definitely have an effect on group size when shooting sabots (especially with my little X7), but has almost no effect with patched balls.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Banned

at 50 below, what are u swabbing with? Ice cubes ?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Fifty BELOW? Hell would have to freeze over before you'd find me in temperatures like that.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

The fluted barrel is supposed to cool down faster, but honestly I really cant tell any difference.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

The surface area increase from fluting is pretty small. I've always been skeptical in the cooling benefits.

If it's summer I always wait 3-5min to cool. The problem is not the powder, it's the sabot getting soft. If you call the barrel "hot" it may likely be affecting accuracy.

I have noticed that the problem is worse the thicker the sabot gets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.