Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Should I let the Barrel Cool Down Between Shots?

Old 01-21-2010, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I yote hunt w/my ML as well and in my experience, you'll notice more of an accuracy loss by not swabbing than you will with heat when hunting. (unless you're shooting BH of course) When you're punching paper going from 1in to 1 1/2 in groups seems like a lot, but when you're huntin', it's still a killing shot.

I shot 3 times as quick as I could reload last year and all 3 shots were exactly where I was aiming. (shooting BH (w/a fluted barrel))
Old 01-21-2010, 05:23 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by spaniel
The surface area increase from fluting is pretty small. I've always been skeptical in the cooling benefits.

If it's summer I always wait 3-5min to cool. The problem is not the powder, it's the sabot getting soft. If you call the barrel "hot" it may likely be affecting accuracy.

I have noticed that the problem is worse the thicker the sabot gets.
Yup
Old 01-21-2010, 05:25 AM
Spike

I would have to think punchin paper, i'd let her cool just a bit. Now punchin coyotes is another matter, if the barrel is cherry red and you have a yote still standing ,,then fire away....I'm gettin in the coyote mode also,just made a howler out of an old grunt call(lost my old one). I've called and killed alot with the .223 and 12ga. but this winter i'm gonna go with the mzl. only. Good luck, they need thinned out.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like Cayugad and Semi mentioned the cooler wether matters in how long they wait. I forgot to mention most of my shooting is done between September and March, as the middle of March is when our Coyote Season ends. So most of my shooting is done with temps in the 50above to Zero Degrees range, and 50% of My shooting is done in the teens. So I guess Im not letting the Barrel get that warm.
I'll slow down a little at the Range from now on. And since were on the topic of Barrel Colling, do Real Cold Temps have a effect on Barrel Preformance. A-lot of times when Im Hunting Coyotes it's Zero Out, give or take a little.
(BP)
Old 01-21-2010, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

It depends on many things thats why I go by feel. I live an AR and during the summer here if yo let it get really hot by shooting as fast as you can load the barrel can get hot using BH it is possible to go from a one hole group to a 4 inch group just from barrel heat and thats without the sun ever touching the barrel [we have a covered range.
For hunting it should not affect the accuracy of the gun there is not that much game around here or in any of the states or countries I have hunted in any way.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

As long as it takes me to swab and reload its a wonder there isnt spiderwebs on the gun... not much need worrying about a hot barrel
Old 01-22-2010, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Doe Dumper
If I have my loads laid out in quick loaders I can run two or three a minute with Blackhorn of course [no swabbing] its easy to get the barrel so hot the groups spread.
I have taken to using Dave's way [cayugad] and shooting one shot from each gun and taking at least 3.