Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Chapter 3 Rem 700 @ the Farm

Old 01-21-2010, 06:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

No the Remington 700ml is a factory muzzleloader. It was built to be as close to the regular 700 as they could so they could use factory parts. It would have been a lot closer than it really is if the the ATF had not layed down some regualtions that required Remington to remover the lugs from the bolt and change the face of the bolt. The ATF was worried the original design would allow the rifle to be converted to a centerfire.

Precision Rifle in Canada does offer a real 700 converted to a ML. That is pretty much what it would have been like.

Cost of manufacturing was the 700 killer - it was made and manufactured completely here in the states so they could not compete with the flood of foreign way less expensive ML's - so the plug was pulled. Had they stayed in the market I think they would have upgraded the 700 to the point it would have been a contender with the Knight DISC Elite/Extreme as the best of ML of the time.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Breechplug

No the Remington 700ml is a factory muzzleloader. It was built to be as close to the regular 700 as they could so they could use factory parts. It would have been a lot closer than it really is if the the ATF had not layed down some regualtions that required Remington to remover the lugs from the bolt and change the face of the bolt. The ATF was worried the original design would allow the rifle to be converted to a centerfire.

Precision Rifle in Canada does offer a real 700 converted to a ML. That is pretty much what it would have been like.

Cost of manufacturing was the 700 killer - it was made and manufactured completely here in the states so they could not compete with the flood of foreign way less expensive ML's - so the plug was pulled. Had they stayed in the market I think they would have upgraded the 700 to the point it would have been a contender with the Knight DISC Elite/Extreme as the best of ML of the time.
Thank's for clearing that up Mike. She looks like a real shoter, keep us posted on your progress.
if you were to buy the best ML made, wich one would it be, and why, and how much would it cost?
(BP)
Old 01-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

if you were to buy the best ML made, wich one would it be, and why, and how much would it cost?
For myself that is a difficult question, because I am old and set in a rut... I really do prefer a bolt action. The break opens are nice and they are convenient and they are easy... but I still like the bolt better... If I had an unlimited budget i am not sure that would matter - well maybe it would... I would have to take a long hard look at the Precision Rifle Remington Model 700 muzzleloader conversion... and I am not even a Remington fan...

http://www.prbullet.com/700.htm

Really I probably would not do this but I would look at it...

So then that brings me back to the same rut...

A Remington 700 ml SS $250 today
A Knight DISC Elite SS $250 today
A White Ultra Mag SS $300 today
A TC Omega SS $400 today
A TC Triumph Weatershied Blue $400 today

Guess that might be the order.