Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Gold Dots In The .45 Renegade

Old 01-20-2010, 09:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well Bronko, I really can't complain about the XTPs based on the two deer I've shot with them, but I still suspect the Gold Dot would be a little better.

The second XTP I shot into a deer (high neck shot) was not really a test of the bullet. Even a .45 ball in that location would have dropped the deer on the spot. On the first deer I intentionally shot mid-chest because I wanted to see how the bullet performed. That was the one in my "bullet performance report" (http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...grain-xtp.html).

That one did everything you could ask of a bullet, but it might have fragmented somewhat. Look closely at the internal entrance wound on the left side of the 7th picture in that post and notice the holes to the right of the main entrance hole. I say it might have fragmented because I don't know if those were caused by bullet fragments or bone fragments. There was also a puncture wound through the rear section of the off-side shoulder that exited, which I strongly suspect was a bullet fragment.

So I have to wonder what would happen if that bullet hits a big bodied buck in the shoulder/leg bone. Would it penetrate the way I know a Gold Dot will? I've never had pieces of Gold Dots break off and cause damage outside of the intended would channel.

All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to continue using the XTPs. But if the GDs can match them for accuracy I'll use the GDs.

Sorry for the long-winded response, but I wanted to explain my thinking.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Semi

Shot some 41 Gold Dots from the Remington 45 today. They did load a bit better than in the Knight. I was at the farm and the ground was saturated so I probed around abit in the dirt looking to recover some of the bullets... Found two of them - that was enough for me... Excellent expansion - not as pretty and uniformed as your example but they certainly would have done the job. I think the weight retention will be really high also. I can not see where they lost anything...
Old 01-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

OK - now you have me thinking. So you are saying that you believe the GDs to be a bit stronger than the XTPs? (at least as far as holding together). I may have to try them if that's the case. I too have no complaints with the XTPs. But then again, I never aim for the shoulder.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting Semi!! I'm kind of in the same boat as you with the 200 XTP's - they have performed well for me, and I've never lost a deer with them, but I'm always looking for something even better. If you check out the bottom of the first page of my post from a month ago

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...vered-xtp.html

You'll see what happened to a 200 XTP hitting bone at high velocity. In this case it hit the spine and fragmented badly. It did, however, still retain enough of its mass to penetrate almost the full length of the deer. I was just not too happy about picking tons of lead fragments out of the meat.

So I'm still looking for that "perfect" bullet.....
Old 01-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

bronko22000

This is only my opinion and I am one that really thought the 200XTP to be a GREAT bullet... the Gold Dot has proven to be much more durable that the the Honady's. The Gold Dot is a bonded contolled expansion bullet, along the lines of a Nosler Partiton - surely not a stong as the Nosler, but close.

I would suggest before you get the .41/210 you try a few and see if they will load for you. They also make a .40/180 grain Gold Dot but I have a prblem getting them to be accurate at longer ranges in a 1/28 twist (they are to short). In my Knight 45 with a 1/30 twist they are lights out.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sabot - I am pretty sure the GM LRH barrels in .45 are a 1:30 twist. My thoughts exactly on the loading issue. I don't enjoy bearing down on the ramrod to seat a bullet. I do like a tight bullet fit but not too tight that I have to fight with it.
You know, Semi has my address. You think he might send me 5 or so to try out?
After all - he dosen't need anymore this year now that his freezer is full. : )
Old 01-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

bronko22000

PM me your address - I will send you some and some sabots... Semi did the same for me so I am just returning the favor.... sorta like paying it forward....

I'll send you some .40/180's also - they will shoot great in a 1/30 GM barrel
Old 01-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Bronko, watch out for that offer from Sabotloader. He's probably going to include a bill in the package.

I thought I remembered trying some 180 gr/.400 XTPs out of my 1:30 twist back when I first got the LRH barrel. I just checked my target file and, sure enough, I had. I pushed them pretty hard with 105 grains of Pyrodex RS. The target is below. Looks like I'm going to have to try them a longer ranges (still have most of the box). If they group that well at 100 yards I'll definitely be ordering some 180 grain Gold Dots.

Last edited by Semisane; 01-20-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi

Dang Semi! that is semi respectable - those 180's shot pretty darn good... with that kind of group why even fool with the 41-210's - yike that was a dumb question ti the great experimenter that you are....

No bills - who knows where he came up with that one but remember he is! semi sane!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sabotloader, waaayyyy back then (Oct '08) I never even considered a 180 grain XTP as a possible deer bullet. I was shooting "proper" 300 grainers out of the Mustang and 410 grain Hornady Great Plains out of the New Englander for deer. Those were my "go to" hunting guns. Everything else was for playing. Didn't even use those dinky 240 grain XTPs the other guys in my group were using. I've since learned a lot from you guys on this forum and have become more open minded (senile?) in my old age.