Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What did I do wrong?

Old 01-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ballistol was NOT developed for black powder...It is a mineral oil developed in Germany in 1904, after the first black powder era...It was developed for the German army to oil and clean their rifles, stocks and leather...

I've tried it, don't care for it...

I prefer to plug my touch hole and pour rubbing alcohol down the barrel, dump this out, dry and repeat...I then lube and dry with WD-40, dry and use a good gun oil to prevent rust...

Too many good gun oils out there to use Crisco or Bore Butter...
Also, too many good lubes out there to use Bore Butter or Crisco for lubing patches either...
Old 01-20-2010, 12:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rusty Duck and boiling water for me using a cleaning rod to get a suction pump type deal going through the barrel. Afterwards it is patched until dry and then patched with RemOil. Might not be the best way but it sure works. I was warned off of Crisco way back when i first started.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I often wonder why people tell you such products as crisco or bore butter are no good, when you said the crisco worked fine for 10 years.
I used bore butter for years with no problems while using BP or Pyrodex. When I tried T-7 powder I started getting some rust colored residue on a clean patch ran down the bore a couple days after cleaning. It could have been light oxidation (rust), or it could have been a chemical reaction between the bore butter and any residue left by the T-7.
I don't know what it was, but I switched to cleaning thoroughly with water (hot or cold both work for me), removing any remaining moisture with WD-40, and lightly coating the metal with Rem-Oil.
This has also worked fine for me. I switched back to real BP (much better accuracy and ignition), but the new system still works fine, so I'm sticking with it for now.

Hope you barrel isn't ruined, but it doesn't sound good.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

I was wondering if any of the other guns in your safe are showing rust. You may need some kind of moisture inhibiter in the safe to keep your guns from rusting in the safe.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Spike

Thanks for the replies. First off, none of my other weapons have rust; first thing I looked for, since I live in Florida and we've some wet weather lately. Secondly, I've never had any problems with rusting with any part of this rifle using boiling water and crisco (it's fat thus an oil) for the past ten years; save for the parts of the lock I didn't get 'heated' before applying. And yes, boiling water will evaporate much quicker than a lower temp water.
The reason I use this 'system' of cleaning, before this year, was when I bought the rifle (@ Pickett's Weaponary in Newberry, FL. ten years ago) the owner walked me through how to load, sight, and care for it. In essence he said I could buy the oils, and cleaning, products he had but it would be better to save my money and use the aforemention method. At first I was doubtful but after 10 yrs...it's worked....until I took a shortcut with Ballistol.
What has truly gotten my "hairs on end" is the 'white stuff' around the nipple seat and bore end (akin to battery terminal corrosion). This has me thinking there was a chemical reaction between the Ballistol and either the crisco or the Pyrodex powder.
Tomorrow I'm going to use the "old" method and see what happens. I will post results.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

littlekid

Tomorrow I'm going to use the "old" method and see what happens. I will post results.
Cool! good place to start - let us know how it goes - I hold a great hope that all will be OK...
Old 01-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Spike

OK, here's the update for any wondering. I cleaned the barrel with Boiling water and Dawn. Once the patches were white I let it sit for 2 mins., then swabbed to remove any left over water. While the barrel was still hot I ran a cotton patch with Crisco down the barrel and wiped down the exterior. After letting the barrel cool I ran a clean patch down the barrel to remove any excess Crisco, several times. Waited 10 more minutes and used my barrel light to check for any inconsistancies. As of now, the barrel looks fine. Next weekend, when I'm finished with semester grades (hence delayed posting), I will take it to the range and do a final eval. Boy, I hope it's OK. No more shortcuts for me.
Will post results.
littlekid
Old 01-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

littlekid

Sounds promising! hope it all works out for you...
Old 01-26-2010, 03:38 AM
Fork Horn

When I was using my old CVA Big Bore Mt.Rifle I had a big ol coffee pot that I would fill with water without soap. I would bring the water to a boil and set it on the garage floor. Drop the breech end of the barrel into the hot water and pump it in and out of the bore. The barrel would get too hot to hold without an oven mit. I would then run clean dry patches to dry it out as much as possible. I would stand it in the corner over night. The next day I would run an oil parch down the bore. I never had a problem with rust. I still have that rifle and the bore is still perfect after 30 years of use.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:42 AM
Banned

ever since ive Flitz my barrels, i dont have any issues with rust, Especially flash rust in my traditions kentucky. I experimented with bore butter again and thats a no no for me. Hoppes does pretty good

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.