Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Shockwave blues

Old 01-18-2010, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
spaniel
According to the post, the shots were pretty good. I do agree with out recovering the animal it's hard to comment. I really havent had a whole lot of trouble with Shockwaves at all.

The FTX is another story. All my Deer were recovered with good shots and no blood. It took multiple people to find my Deer. I shot a Buck with a 200grn Lehigh behind the shoulder and it went 40 yards. I thought that was a mile to tell you the truth. Everbody has different opinions on good bullet performance. No blood to track is poor to me.
Are we reading the same report? One shot was a gut shot and the other was quartering placed behind the shoulder (I agree with the OP that it quite likely angled too far forward to catch the lungs and would have been better placed behind the last rib to angle forward through the whole chest).

I cannot tell you what happened on your FTX shots other than my experience with the 325gr has been nothing but stellar, plenty of expansion(see pics) and plenty of penetration.

But you weren't using the 325 so it's impossible to draw a direct comparison. It's been awhile since I've had a deer go far enough to worry about blood, but I've seen too much variation in getting a blood trail to really concern myself thinking one bullet will do it reliably and another not. Plenty of high chest hits don't bleed despite big holes as the blood pools down if the lungs deflate and don't aspirate it.

It's hard to compare results with a ML to shotgun slugs. Slugs are huge compared to ML bullets and expand from there. I rarely had problems getting good blood with shotgun slugs, but I had a lot harder time hitting the deer where I wanted to so I needed to track a LOT more often.

If most of your shots will be under 100 yds you give up nothing going to a Nosler or similar lower-BC but hollowpoint bullet. However you're going to be getting marginal with that 200 yds shot. If the bulk of your shots will be 100-200 yds I'd stick with a Shockwave or similar bullet. Personally I like the 200gr the best because it is longer-for-caliber so it holds together better. If you look at the pic I posted before you'll see that the last bit of the jacket base held together and drove through both shoulders. My experience with the 250SW is that it can over-expand and fragment as it is not as long-for-caliber and it goes "splat" all the way back to the base.

To OP -- If you miss the vitals nothing short of a grenade launcher will guarantee you a good blood trail. I've seen deer take three rifled slugs through the guts and not leave a blood trail. The misfire was rotton luck, I'm sure you've already beat yourself up figuring out how it happened and will be punching one through the lungs next time anyways. And yes, I think the SWs perform optimally in the 100+ yd range though both the 200 and 300 gr bullets are better than the 250gr bullet (don't use bonded at all on deer-sized game).
Old 01-18-2010, 08:37 AM
Banned

i'd go with a barnes or nosler. pricey but for hunting, its cheap.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 250grn FTX is what i was using. 110grns of BH209 was the charge.

I did not see that he gut shot an animal. I will go back and read that again.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 250grn FTX is what i was using. 110grns of BH209 was the charge.

I did not see that he gut shot an animal. I will go back and read that again.
Yep, i saw it now, my fault. Gut shots do suck.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

The search for the elusive bullet that will turn a gut shot into a bang flop every time continues.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

What powder charge were you using? I use both yellow and blue/purple with 100 grains and have killed hogs and deer from 5 yards out to 110 without issues, all DRT and no flopping around. Buddies of mine are shooting 150 grain charges and have similar results you are experiencing. They get small pencil sized holes, I get big holes, quarter to half dollar size depending on which gun I use. The 1:28 twist gets quater size and the 1:32 gets the half dollar size as I think it does not stabilize but throws the bullet with a bit of tumble, it hits where I aim and works well. Great bullet but if you have doubts, switch to what works for your gun. Each gun is different. Barnes are excellent bullets but cost a little more, my philosophy is buy what you can afford, after all they are hunting bullets so why not get the best if they work in your gun. My shockwaves work well in my guns so I will not tinker with other loads after finding these.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

I am 3 for 3 with 250 SW's out of an omega with 100 grains of 777. All shots under 75 yards and all 3 complete pass thrus, including breaking bone. One ran 15 yards and 2 ran 25 yards. The only rub for me is no blood trail (thankfully- none went far). Sounds like shot placement was the issue rather than bullet choice on the OP's description.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, i saw it now, my fault. Gut shots do suck.
No worries, I can barely write my own name some days lately ;D
Old 01-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

D - reading your initial post, it is my experience that no ML bullet is going to immediately kill either of these deer. The possible gut shot one yes, in time. But the first one may go on indefinately. Whitetails are tenacious animals and even a one lung hit deer can travel a long way. Like in archery, when in doubt, back out.
If your SWs are producing good accuracy, there is no need to change. But YOU need to practice some dicipline and take good shots.
Now I'm not saying the standing still broadside shots you always see on TV. yeah, they are ideal, but slowly walking broadside or qtr. away, certainly.
Honestly, if I had to wait for a standing broadside shot, I would not have taken 30% of the deer I have shot. Good luck
Old 01-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Spike

bronko,
good advice for sure. Indeed the lost animals were due more in part to poor shot placement than the bullet itself. Its tempting to read similar stories on this forum and assume euipment is the culprit when in fact, poor shot placement is to blame. I may purchase some paper deer targets and practice picking my shots. I also may consider working up two different load/bullet combinations, one for shorter rages and one for long. I don't want to lose faith in this bullet as its lonrage accuracy in my gun is fantastic.
BTW, the load was 100 gr of 777 and a 25o gr Shockwave (non-bonded) with the black sabot. As for my shotgun, I shoot the 12 gauge Remington Copper Solids through a fully rifled barrel out of my 11-87 and have taken over 50+ deer with that combo. The copper solids leave a blood trail that looks like a crime scene.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.