Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Oregon muzzleloader

Old 01-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Spike

Default Oregon muzzleloader

NEW HERE
LOOKING AT GETTIN INTO BLACK POWDER. IM IN OREGON AND JUST FOUND OUT ALL THE RESTRICTIONS. MAINLY LOOKING AT THE RIFLE I WANT TO GET A MODERN INLINE BUT IT NEEDS TO HAVE A OPEN IGNITION AND USE A #11 CAP ANY ONE KNOW WHAT MODELS ARE LEGAL HERE MADE BY T/C, TRADITIONS, KNIGHT, AND CVA, THANKS
Old 01-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Dominant Buck

T/C makes a Black Diamond and there is a new one coming out for what you need. Knight makes a Wolverine, Bighorn, and the LK Series rifles, CVA makes a Buckhorn Magnum or if you go older, there is a Staghorn Magnum. If I were you, keep your eyes open for a White Model 97. In a .504 caliber, they shoot a lead conical bullet with great accuracy.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by 08cummins
NEW HERE
LOOKING AT GETTIN INTO BLACK POWDER. IM IN OREGON AND JUST FOUND OUT ALL THE RESTRICTIONS. MAINLY LOOKING AT THE RIFLE I WANT TO GET A MODERN INLINE BUT IT NEEDS TO HAVE A OPEN IGNITION AND USE A #11 CAP ANY ONE KNOW WHAT MODELS ARE LEGAL HERE MADE BY T/C, TRADITIONS, KNIGHT, AND CVA, THANKS
I just got done shooting the new TC Northwest Explorer for review I'm writing. The gun was made for us here in the Northwest. Great gun and very accurate right out of the box. I was shooting 1" to 1 1/4" groups at 50 yards. I will let you know how the shooting goes. I'm taking the gun in to have it drilled and tapped for a scope. I will then head back out to the range and get a more accurate load worked up at 100 yards. I will keep you posted.

Traditions also makes the Pursuit in a Northwest Edition. We have been shooting it at the range and getting very good results out of it as well. 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" groups at 50 yards with a few different projectiles.

The TC is similar to the Omega in the way it opens (drop down trigger and firing mech.) and the Traditions is a break open style gun.

The Knight Disc Extreme with a Green Mountain Barrel should never be over looked. Green Mountain barrel is the finest muzzleloader barrel on the market.

These are my top three pics for new guns out on the market.

If you can get a hold of a Merkesbery muzzleloader you can't go wrong. It is legal in every state in the nation. It also comes with a green Mountain Barrel. They have been out of production for a couple years now. They are well worth the research to find one.

Steve
www.muledeercountry.com
Old 01-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

i wrote about this before, but need to finally get the info. there is a guy in eugene who takes tc encore .50 and converts them to a legal muzzle gun for oregon. thats what i would do. the encore just has to many options. and dont let the negative NAY sayers tell you encores have issues. 95% love them...
Old 01-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Spike

I have the Pro Hunter and the TC Endeavor. I have them both converted over to be legal here in Idaho. You can see a review I wrote on it at http://www.muledeercountry.com/?cat=9 They are great guns. I Just didn't know if cummins wanted to go to the extra effort. They can be a bit finicky with what bullet they will shoot through them (lead conical).

The manufacture does not recommend altering the breech plug or the firing mechanism. I tend to steer away from recommending it. “ The Thompson Center Arms alteration I am posting is purely experimental with INSUFFICIENT TESTING data to determine “no risk of injury” to the end user. Therefore in the interest of SAFETY and liability, please be informed that if you construct and use any altered guns or parts, you do so at your own risk and responsibility, and I assume no liability or responsibility should injury or death occur in their use.”

Steve
www.muledeercountry.com

Last edited by Antler Junkie; 01-11-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am kind of partial to Knight's Mk-85. There are good used ones out there and they will shoot right with the best of them. I have a White coming tomorrow, I have heard so many good things about them I had to get one. Lots of good choices have been mentioned. If possible, it is nice to shoulder one or one like it before buying to see how it fits you.
Art
Old 01-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Well a lot of it boils down to how much you want to spend. Also, do not overlook traditional style rifles. Everyone wants a inline because they are so easy to clean they claim. Well a traditional is just as easy to take care of and depending on the rifle will get the job done.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Also, do not overlook traditional style rifles. Everyone wants a inline because they are so easy to clean they claim. Well a traditional is just as easy to take care of and depending on the rifle will get the job done.
I would rather clean my traditionals any day over my inlines.

If I lived out there I would be looking for a White. They shoot conicals amazingly well and are built like a tank. Second choice would be a TC Renegade or Hawken.

My $0.02
Old 01-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Spike

thanks guys for the info it helps to a point then i get stumped again but i now am narrowed down to the traditions and t/c both feel really good in hand but still not sure. whats better a 26" barrel with 1:28 twist or 28" with 1:48 twist for long distance accuracy. inmo the traditions is quiet while reloading if holding the lock after closing the barrel, but the longer barrel to me is better for accuracy. a few dollar diff is not that big to me both mls are in my good price range.