Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anyone had problems with their Genesis rusting?

Old 01-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anyone had problems with their Genesis rusting?

So I have a Remington Genesis I in the blued and camo combo a little over a year ago when Cabelas had them onsale. This year during black powder season I left it loaded for about a week. Ever since then it seems like the inside of the barrel has had a little rust. I get some brown coming out on my patches. Other than that week I've always kept it clean and well oiled. Maybe even over oiled. Well, I was cleaning it tonight and not only am I still getting brown on the patches I noticed right in the crown of the barrel there seemed to be a little rust as well as ontop of the barrel right at the front sight a little rust seemed to be forming. I've never had any gun rust like this. What's going on here? Is this about the crappiest metal there is or what? It still shoots good but I'm wondering how much longer this gun will actually last. It's only like a year old.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
So I have a Remington Genesis I in the blued and camo combo a little over a year ago when Cabelas had them onsale. This year during black powder season I left it loaded for about a week. Ever since then it seems like the inside of the barrel has had a little rust. I get some brown coming out on my patches. Other than that week I've always kept it clean and well oiled. Maybe even over oiled. Well, I was cleaning it tonight and not only am I still getting brown on the patches I noticed right in the crown of the barrel there seemed to be a little rust as well as ontop of the barrel right at the front sight a little rust seemed to be forming. I've never had any gun rust like this. What's going on here? Is this about the crappiest metal there is or what? It still shoots good but I'm wondering how much longer this gun will actually last. It's only like a year old.
Depending on the oil you use it may just be that on the patches. You will get rust on blued barrels especially on the end as this is where you touch it the most when loading and bumping into things, or as it touches say the floor in your car or truck on the way to and from Hunting (if this is how you transport it) I found that just by wiping it down with a little oil will take off the rust, it will come back but just wipe it off again with some oil.
If there is pitting on the inside of the barrel than that's different, but I cant see by just having it loaded for a week, even if it was shot and not swabbed that the rust would pit that fast and cause damage.
(BP)
Old 01-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looking down the barrel it looks shiny and I don't see any obvious pits. However, if you shine a flash light right in it you can see it looks like a little rust around the rifling. I've always used Remington oil on it. On the crown where it's a little rust it almost looks like pits but I can't feel them. On the top of the barrel just looks like a rust spot but it wont wipe off. I can't tell if it's pitted or not.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looking down the barrel it looks shiny and I don't see any obvious pits. However, if you shine a flash light right in it you can see it looks like a little rust around the rifling. I've always used Remington oil on it. On the crown where it's a little rust it almost looks like pits but I can't feel them. On the top of the barrel just looks like a rust spot but it wont wipe off. I can't tell if it's pitted or not.
Im not saying it will work, but if you can get some JB's Bore Paste and run some of that through the barrel it may help. Have you tried a good scrubbing with a Brass Brush? The discoloration also might just be (burn) marks from the powder. If it shoots good I would'nt worry about it. Mabey some other's here have some other suggestions.
(BP)
Old 01-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I've tried scrubbing it with a brush. All I can figure it's from is leaving it loaded for a week without shooting it. I don't remember it being like that before that. Maybe it could be from burn marks or something it just looks rust colored that's why I figured that's what it was. It does shoot good so I'm not sure. I may have to try some JB's Bore Past. Any idea's where to get that?
Old 01-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I've tried scrubbing it with a brush. All I can figure it's from is leaving it loaded for a week without shooting it. I don't remember it being like that before that. Maybe it could be from burn marks or something it just looks rust colored that's why I figured that's what it was. It does shoot good so I'm not sure. I may have to try some JB's Bore Past. Any idea's where to get that?
I get a-lot of my stuff from Midwest Shooters Supply. I have left my ML loaded and fouled from a preveious shot for over a week at a time with no ill effects. Give the JB's a try and dont worry as long as it still shoots good. While your on the phone with Midwest Shooters Supply I'd suggest getting some Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner. It's a great oil to protect your bore, many on here use it with good results.
(BP)
Old 01-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Mine is stainless steel. I just checked mine and it is perfect. But thanks for the reminder.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really wanted the stainless and now wish I had gotten it. The only reason I didn't get it was when I got mine they only had the stainless one with the thumbhole stock left and I just didn't like that stock at all. If it had been a normal stock on it I would for sure have gotten the stainless one. Now I wish I had of anyway and just had a stock I didn't care for.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Banned

could you go through your cleaning process for us? tell us what you use to clean it, how you go about cleaning it, what you use for a rust preventer, etc.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I've been cleaning it with boiling hot soapy water. I clean it with that by brushing it out, pouring water down, brushing, and repeat. Then I start running patches through it until it comes out clean. I then quite a few dry patches through it to get it dry. Finally I soak a patch in Remington Oil and run it down the bore. I leave it dripping wet with oil. When I get ready to shoot it the next time I run a dry patch down to wipe the oil out and then load and shoot.

Now a few times over the hunting season where I didn't have boiling water I used rubbing alcohol to clean with.

I also have used some of the Wipe Out bore cleaner on I use on my rifles on it. Like after getting it pretty clean with the soapy water I've been using some of this stuff as it seems to get a little copper out and get it a little cleaner. If I use this I do it just like on rifles and let it soak, run another patch through, let it soak for a few minutes, then repeat until the patches are clean. Then once again after they patches are clean I will dry out the bore and coat it in Remington Oil.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.