Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anyone had problems with their Genesis rusting?

Old 01-07-2010, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might have too much oil down the bore. A light coating is all that's needed. Additionally, make sure the bore is 100% dry before you oil it. If not some of the moisture will get trapped in there.

I've owned several Genesis' (both blued and stainless) and I have not had a problem with rust in any of them. One of which was one of the first ones that came out. I could have been that it was loaded that long or moisture got in there that you were not aware of.

Try the JB Bore Paste as suggested. It should clear it up.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

A tip I forgot to mention. As I like to Hunt with a Fouled Bore I ALWAYS cover the end of the Muzzle with Masking Tape to prevent moisture from getting in. I cut a piece just a little smaller than a Half Dollar to use, befor I apply it I will clean the muzzle end with alcohol to remove any oil so it makes a good seal. It stays on perfect, even after the shot there is still the tape around the outside of the muzzle end. It's not affected by snow or rain. Or get some small ballons or finger cots to use, I always cover the end of the Muzzle.
(BP)
Old 01-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Banned

boiling water could also be causing flash rust. my traditions kentucky always rusted with HOT water. I use warm water now.

Also, rem oil will attract rust by doing what you did. Get a good layer of it on a patch, push the patch down using both sides of the patch. Give it a few minutes to dry and then use one dry patch to mop up the excess oil. Before oiling, i always use some windex patches and run a few down the bore and dry it.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hmm I never knew that the oil would attract rust. How exactly does it do that? I'm just afraid by running a dry patch down it afterwards I'd wipe all the oil out.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Banned

you wont wipe all of the oil out, you're just mopping up excess oil build up. Even though its oil, its still moist and can trap any air thats under the excess oil. Bore butter does it badly too.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

My uncle has a genesis, my friend has one, and I have one. My friend has experienced a slight amount of rust where the metal of the barrel and the forearm meet. That is it. I have no rust in 3 years of hunting in snow/etc...and neither does my uncle. This has been a good gun for me.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Hmm I never knew that the oil would attract rust. How exactly does it do that? I'm just afraid by running a dry patch down it afterwards I'd wipe all the oil out.
According to Eezox, water is heavier than oil and will sink through it to the surface of the metal which can cause rust. That's why oil floats on water and not the other way around.

EEZOX® weighs 10.42 pounds per gallon - squirt or spray EEZOX® into a container of water and it will sink to the bottom. This density prevents water from penetrating the thin layer of EEZOX® and from reacting with the metal to form rust. Because of the hydrocarbon oil content of other products, they will "float" on water. Therefore, water penetrates this oil layer and rests on the metal surface. The water then reacts with oxygen and the metal surface to form rust.

http://www.eezox.com/gun-care.html
Old 01-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Your problem may be your cleaning method. Nothing wrong with the hot soapy water, hot water rinse. But when that barrel is hot and you run patches down it, when they come out clean, then run a patch of alcohol down that warm bore. That should remove any residual water that is in there. Personally I don't care for Rem Oil. But use it if you like. I'd much prefer Hoppes gun oil or better yet, Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner.
Yes, SOME oils will actually attract water. (motor oil for one). But your quality gun oils will not.

Last edited by bronko22000; 01-08-2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: more info