Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Weathershield on triumph?

Old 01-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

bleeohio

I was told that this would not work out to well with a coating on it. I have no experience with the cryogenic(freezing) process , but do know a few that swear by it.
I have a couple of Knights that have gone through the 'cryogenic' process. I really can not say that there is a whole lot of benefit to it... I have read the +++'es but again I can hear, see, or feel the benefits. I slide back to my centerfire days - how many of those were 'cryogenically' treated and of course I am referring to hunting rifles.

[quoted]There is quite a difference in price from the blued to the coated, just not sure it's worth the cost.[/quote]

There is no difference in the metal of the gun that has the Weather Shield applied to it or the metal of the gun that is blued. Blueing is much less expensive than applying the weather shield. The difference is 'suppose' to be that the Weather Shield offers a higher standard of protection to the outside of the gun than does Blueing. But right after that statement how many rifles weapons have you had that you have worn the blueing off. I certainly have a couple that are sure showing the signs of blueing wearing off. And the hope is that the Weather Shield might last longer.

If it came down to - to many dollars difference I would have no problem with a blued model. And it I were to go with the weather as I did - i would certainly go with the Weather Shield that appears to be a dark matte blue... because I could easily touch it up with 'cold blue' however if you go with the camo, or stainless look you might have a problem.

As others have said, i would be happier knowing the inside has the goodies>>>
The inside is pretty easy it is regular ordinance grade steel as any other blued gun. You just take care of it the same way you would any blued metal gun. Even it were stainless you still would have to take care of it. The bore has nothing to do with the Weather Shield application or if it were blued.

Do you have any sidelock ML's actually any blued guns? Same difference.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Spike

Sabotl. Yes, i had a few sidelocks back in the day. Got out of the groove for a lot of years and got into the bowhunting end of it. Within the past couple of years i kinda got the bug again for the smokies and of course i gotta try the latest and greatest. I've never been one to do all the testing needed, if what i try works, then i run with it. I like to let you guys do the testing (cheaper that way) and then try it. I didn't know the blued version could come with the ws on the triumph, my shop here only has a blued with no ws and a stainless looking ws in stock and i assumed those were the options. Looking like i'm gonna have to give one a spin....
Old 01-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

bleeohio

didn't know the blued version could come with the ws on the triumph, my shop here only has a blued with no ws and a stainless looking ws in stock and i assumed those were the options. Looking like i'm gonna have to give one a spin....
I gave you the wrong impression... What I was trying to say is the metal under the Weather Shield versions is the same metal you would find in the blued version... I was hoping to indicate that there was not one metal for blue and another metal for Weather Shield...

The Triumph will flat out shoot... I am not a pointy bullet type person - I still use the old style HP or some such. My max range is 200 yards so I can get the balistics I need from the non-pointy bullets. But I really want the bullet to perform equally well from 20 yards to 200 yards...

Here is one of my first targets from a brand new Triumph
. It is only 25 yards but I think it shows a lot of promise for a brand new rifle right out of the box...

If you get one you will be surprised how light and easy to carry they are... What type of ranges are you looking at? and I am assuming whitetail...

I am going to test a new bullet here in a few days that is the best inexpensive bullet on the market (my thoughts anyway)... if it works as well as I think it might also serve your purposes...
Old 01-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bleeohio
Wondering what exactly the weathershield is. Is it a spray on/baked on teflon coating? I'll admit, i'm a fan of ss barrels, even if for nothing more than piece of mind. For the xtra price of the ws, i think i'd prefer ss and would probly own one already. Just trying to justify buying/not buying one. thanks

http://www.nicindustries.com/firearm_coatings.php
Old 01-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Spike

Sabotloader.. A few whitetails, lotta coyotes and just a sprinkle of hogs in the mix. Normally use 240gr. xtps but the cheap shots hit right with them. Tried the 250gr. sw's , but not that impressed with those. They have the yellow sabot and load awful easy compared to the others and i think that may be my problem. I have an old solid rib model 12 that my local shop owner has been pestering me for for awhile. May just have to do some dealin with him on the triumph. I would like to find one bullet for all purpose,just to make things easier (pipe dream) as they all so far seem to get along with the bh powder. Be interesting to see what you find in your bullet test..good luck
Old 01-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bleeohio
Sabotloader.. A few whitetails, lotta coyotes and just a sprinkle of hogs in the mix. Normally use 240gr. xtps but the cheap shots hit right with them. Tried the 250gr. sw's , but not that impressed with those. They have the yellow sabot and load awful easy compared to the others and i think that may be my problem. I have an old solid rib model 12 that my local shop owner has been pestering me for for awhile. May just have to do some dealin with him on the triumph. I would like to find one bullet for all purpose,just to make things easier (pipe dream) as they all so far seem to get along with the bh powder. Be interesting to see what you find in your bullet test..good luck
bleeohio, I just got to shoot my Triumph today for a short time, I had to take My ACCURA's in the other room first as they were looking at me funny All I had to use were what I always use the 240gr XTP Mags made and packaged by TC, they come in a 30 pack with sabots and Im not sure of the sabot used. The Triumph shot these great, in no time I was putting 1" groups at 100yds. The XTP's went down smooth so if your looking to use them in the Triumph they'll work fine.
(BP)
Old 01-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Spike

Good info heinz, seems like the ticket. Breechplug, you guys are killin me here, i have to now convince the wife that there is a conspiracy going on here. I have used up the "just one more" card. thanks for the info guys.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

bleeohio

I am trying a new bullet... but it is a .41 caliber hunitng bullet built for the the 41 mag pistol.

Actually I can take no credit for this a Semisane brought it to my attention a long time ago and I have just now gotten to the point of trying it.

Both Harvester and MMP make a sabot for the the 50 cal ML that accepts a .40 caliber bullet. I normally use a 40/200 grain Hornady XTP to shoot ground squirrels with - and it is a proven excellent bullet for whitetail to 175 yards. Speer makes a line of bullets called Gold Dots - these bullets are bonded (can not separate copper from lead) have very good weight retention + they have a controlled expansion mechanism that allows them to expand to a given distance then for the most part stop and continue driving. Speer makes a .40/180 grain Grain Dot but it is to short for the 1/28 twist at the longer ranges... but the do make a slightly longer .41 cal/210 grain Gold that can be loaded in to a Harvester 5040CR sabot (Crush Rib) which can be loaded into most 50's. This would give you a bullet traveling at 2100/2300 fps with a normal charge of T7 powder... it would take more powder shooting BH, but not a problem. It could really be a great all around bullet... $25/100...

I am hoping to shoot this 45 combination tomorrow (had to do honey-do's today). I will shoot them across a chrono to check velocity and accuracy at the target.

This might be a heck of abullet out of a light Triumph (less recoil)