Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Something Different

Old 12-30-2009, 10:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Something Different

This post developed from a questioned asked over on MM...

Several months ago Semisane sent me a sample of bullets and sabot to try in my 45 Knights. That pack has sat on my desk ever since and everytime I go shoot a 45 I get back home and kich myself for not trying his thought. I am a fan of the Speer Gold Dot or even the Uni-core... I really wanted to find a Speer Gold Dot .40/200 grain - but as most know it is not made. I have shot the Speer .40/180 Gold Dot from a 1/28 twist and have not been impresssed with accuracy - so I continue to use the .40/200 XTP in both the 50 and 1/30 twist 45 cal Knights...

Several weeks ago i found that the 180's shoot great from the 1/30 Knight - so I had a use for them.

Today kinda spurred on by jsteurrys I decided to pull the the BP out of the 45 Extreme that was in the gun holder and try this package in it. After it worked so well going down the bore of the Extreme - I did some research on the Speer site - and came up with some interesting information... they moved it from the Gold Dot selection into a new listing called a 'Deep Curl' bullet...

Here is a copy of that post....

jsteurrys
OK! Now I am going to have to go shoot again. Pulled the plug opn the Extreme and then loaded the .41/210. It is not a Gold Dot but it is listed a Deep Curl 41 Magnum Bullet for handgun hunting (it is bonded).

http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballist...il.aspx?id=191

Here is the information on the Deep Curl - these are new from Speer
DeepCurl™ Rifle Hunting Component Bullets
This new bullet from Speer® Bullets offers big game hunters of all types a consistent, tough and accurate bullet. Over the years, Speer has gained the trust of handloaders for having reliable bullets that perform in the field. The Speer hunting line has always had an option for all hunters. DeepCurl™ rifle bullets continue this tradition. They utilize Speer's ability to bond bullets at the chemical level. The result is a great all-around big game bullet for an exceptional price.
Features & Benefits
• Provides bullet options with superior electro-chemically bonded bullets
• Soft point design for reliable expansion in hunting situations
• Great weight retention
• Flat-base for more stability
• Great all-around big game bullet for an exceptional price
• Excellent penetration
Semi might really be onto something here.... The 210 gr Dep Curl is a really decent looking bullet the HP nose is designed as the is the 300 Gold Dot. Not realy deep so it helps the BC of the bullet.
Here is a composite picture I just made up - loading into the Extreme...

I an gonna shoot these next - further I do not think there woud be a problem loading these into a 50 with a CR sabot maybe even a regular blue Harvester or MMP... got try that next time I take a 50 down...

Hope this interest someone besides myself
Old 12-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey sabotloader,

Harvestor makes a .45/.40 crush rib sabot??? That's the first time I've heard about it. Where can you find some? I've been interested in trying a .41 cal Gold Dot, but figured that it wouldn't fit down the barrel unless I used a sledgehammer...
Old 12-30-2009, 08:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Look here Smellydog. http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...35%20%43%41%4C
Old 12-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

oldsmellhound

Here you go... I think these will be a really good bullet

http://www.harvestermuzzleloading.co...chk=1&Itemid=3

It looks like the God Dot has proven to be so good that Speer is actually bringing out another line called Deep Curl and they are build rifle bullets on the Gold Dot base. Speer really should be thanking us ML shooters....
Old 12-31-2009, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys!