Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New sights on the Accura

Old 12-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Banned

Default New sights on the Accura

New Sights came in today! I wasted no time ripping that scope off and finding all the screws/washers that the Accura needed.

My first impression when i saw the front sight was. Holy shblep!! The sucker is MASSIVE. The length is just under 1 - 3/8" and 7/8" tall and the width that is towards your eye is 7/8" wide. As usual, one of the fiber optics isnt center with the other but thats no big deal as i normally black out the rear fiber optics.

On the Accura, these sights come into view right away without having to adjust your head to get the sight picture into view. Its just RIGHT THERE.

I really do like this set up so far. im getting ready to sight it in with the 390gr PR conicals @ 20 yards and make adjustments.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

MD what was the reason for the open sights? I can see mabey how they'd benefit you if you could only use them and not a scope, but as long as I can use a scope, it's on there. I feel totally lost without a scope.
(BP)
Old 12-29-2009, 02:48 PM
Banned

cant use a scope in colorado during muzzleloading. Plus my head still hurts after the scope hit me on the forehead the other day.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great looking set up. I have the same front sight on two of my muzzleloaders and love it. Tried the rear ghost sight and it worked OK out to 100 yards, but ended up putting a rear Williams peep. I love that set up out to 150 yards. I think you will like it!
Old 12-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
cant use a scope in colorado during muzzleloading. Plus my head still hurts after the scope hit me on the forehead the other day.
Got ya, that's what I kinda figured....In N.Y. our ML Season used to be patch and round ball only, no fiber optic sights or scopes, it all changed. Now we can use everything, sabots, scopes, fiber optics, the reason they figured the Hunter's would be better shots will all the above thus causing less wounding of animals. Plus a MLer will always be just a MLer.
(BP)
Old 12-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

I'm wondering how solidly made it is. How well would it hold up walking through thick brush? Would it get hung up on brush? Is it plastic? It looks like something I may want to look at since we can't use scopes here in MN during muzzleloader season, just as long as it's not cheaply made.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by omegasmoke
I'm wondering how solidly made it is. How well would it hold up walking through thick brush? Would it get hung up on brush? Is it plastic? It looks like something I may want to look at since we can't use scopes here in MN during muzzleloader season, just as long as it's not cheaply made.
My exact thoughts. In CO we have heavy oak brush that snags anything hanging off of you. Both, the front and rear are Aluminum. The front does however have a plastic cover that is optional and slips over the massive coil of fiber optics in the front sight. I believe it lets to user adjust how much light you get into the front optic. Its not a cheap sights thats for sure. Truglo seems to build very good quality products.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Banned

This is the massive coil of fiber optics that leads down to the single fiber optic sight.

Installing this plastic ring allows you to go left or right and adjust as much as you need or as little if thats the case.

Heres a short movie clip of me adjusting the brightness of the front sight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmjIIIjRyP4
Old 12-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, at noon, you actually have to tune it down some or it is too bright. I have hunted with mine for several years and they have held up well. However, when I returned from one hunt I noticed that the fiberoptic strand had broken. Sent it in and they replaced it at no charge. Reality is that ANY fiberoptic strand can break, but this sight is well built and well protected. I realized what broke mine was leaning it against a tree and having it slip off and fall and hit a rock. Never had any problem in brush. Even when the strand was broken, the bead was still there and it was shootable, just not nearly as bright.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Good thing you have a hard head.