Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cayugad vs. Cayuga

Old 12-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Dominant Buck

I just checked my Chequamegon Book.. I am technically in the Glidden Ranger District.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I read the title and thought you went and got married again,and already filed.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

OK that brings the memories back... I ended up calling them one time... I could just remember you were close to a range district.... amd must have stumbled on a map that had the Cayuga or maybe I asked someone at the Ranger District....
Old 12-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

All that public hunting ground near, what a life. Is there alot of hunting pressure around you?
Old 12-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Is there alot of hunting pressure around you?
If I walk off the back of my property into the Chequamegon I'd probably not run into anyone for many miles. No there is not a lot of hunting pressure. There are groups that make drives from time to time around here. I used to hunt with a group if guys but they all got married and settled down. So I mostly hunt my property only. That is why I do a lot of snow stalking in muzzleloader season. Find a track and start to walk it out. A GPS and compass is a must when you enter the forest.

The kicker is, leave my driveway and you're on a snowmobile or ATV trail (depending on season) and you can ride for miles and miles. But I only live about a mile from the boat landing on a class A muskie lake. The creek that runs through my property empties into that lake.

Its a ruff life, but I am doomed to my fate...

That's what you see when you leave the back end of the property... Chequamegon as far as the eye can see.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

You ought to have some nice bucks running around up there, if for no other reason than them getting some age on them. Pretty country. Where I live is not so pretty, lots of rice patties around here.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Dominant Buck

You ought to have some nice bucks running around up there, if for no other reason than them getting some age on them.
These are a couple of deer mounts in a local tavern. These deer were shot within four miles of my house. The one on the right as I remember weighed 248 field dressed and the one on the left was 236 field dressed.

There are some monster bucks back in the Chequamegon. I had a chance at one a few years back almost equal to one of them on my property. But all I could see was the back of his head. I was shooting a .54 roundball and I decided to wait him out because I did not want to knock his rack off. My mistake, because he walked behind a dead fall and then walk straight away from me. But I am still trying.

Bucks around here, you have to work for them or just be lucky. A lot of very nice bucks used to be shot around here before the herd was shot off. The trout are local also.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice bucks Dave. The one on the left looks very heavy. Must be nice to walk out the back door and go hunting. My cabin is 35 mile drive from my house. Nothing but bean fields out my back door. Is it hard for deer to rebound in Wis? Here in Arkansas a few years ago the game and fish change us to a 3 pt rule on bucks and allowed 3 does to be taken by firearms for a few years. Nocked our deer herd way down to, but they cut back on the doe harvest and our herd responded very nicely in a couple of years.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank's for clearing that up everyone, I also wondered what a cayugad was, when I was younger I lived on a street called Cayuga Dr, I also wondered why in the heck the street was called that, still never found out.....
(BP)
Old 12-18-2009, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
I just checked my Chequamegon Book.. I am technically in the Glidden Ranger District.
Great country up that way. Could you recommend a lake and resort nearby? Wife and i fish for most everything but partial to Walleye and Smallies. Any info would be appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.