Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Help before first range trip

Old 12-10-2009, 06:19 AM
SDK
Spike

Default Help before first range trip

I have a couple of probably dumb questions. My Hawken should be arriving on Monday. I'm going to get some accessories and ammo this weekend, and hit the range the following Saturday. It has me thinking about a few things.

My first question is about ammo and accessories. I have done my homework, and am not looking for a "buy this" list. I am looking to pick your brains for specifics, keeping in mind that I will eventually be going hunting. If you could do it over again, is there anything you bought that you wish you didn't waste your money on? Is there something that you love that you wish you picked up sooner? I don't want to be one of those overly geared guys who show up at the range with an enormous possibles bag, dangling with crap that will slow me down and make noise when I try to hunt.

Also, as someone who has been shooting centerfire since I was a kid, I realized that I have no clue as to ML bullet drop or trajectory. I know I need to experiment with powder loads, and I know it will vary depending on gun/load. However, I just want to know what is normal, and if I should even expect a drop at all going from 50 yards to 100 with iron sights.

Any help would be appreciated...
Scott
Old 12-10-2009, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good: short starter, powder bottle funnel, ramrod jag, range rod, patch worm, bullet puller, mag caps, speed loaders, blah blah blah

Trajectory: Ohh I dunno...depends where ya sight in at and what you're usin. Probably won't have much difference at 50-100.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

The top of my "must have" list is a good quality range rod. Something like this: http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/shop/item.asp?item=318036
Old 12-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Banned

Nipple wrench and some spare nipples. If thats the cva hawken, it uses the 6-1mm thread. i likme the hollowbase spitfire nipple that cabelas sells.

i'll be shooting mine later on this evening too. You should also get some of lanes powder tubes to hold your powder charges/ projectiles.
http://thepowerbeltforum.powerguild....tubes-t395.htm

Best money you will spend.

check over the rifle and make sure the tang screw it tight, check all the screws for tightness before ever attempting to load. Remove the nipple and lube it a bit and inspect inside the drum for a blocked flamed channel, debris, and look especially for any worn or broken threads on both the nipple and the drum.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

Nipple pick - or what I used to use - a twist-tie (used for bread wrappers). Just strip off an inch of the paper or plastic and you have a fine wire that will clean the nipple if needed. Very little weight.
I wouldn't get round balls unless you plan on using them for hunting. You'll end up carrying a lot of extra weight around.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Fot us to give you the kind of information you want we need to know what bullet or PRB [patched round ball] The brand and barrel length and starting load.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Get a wedge puller with the built in nipple wrench and hammer. And a good range rod. I will save you a lot of headaches.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:29 PM
SDK
Spike

Thanks guys, that was just what i was looking for! I have tubes already on order with Lane. Good guy to deal with. You can't beat that price, and I got a shipping notification 10 minutes after I paid him.

Lemoyne-

I'm not looking for exact ballistics. More what is considered normal range as a target while working out my loads. For instance, if I zero in at 50 yards with irons then hit 5" low at 100, is that normal or do I need to work on my load some more? From what Big Z said, I shouldn't be expecting much drop if I am doing everything right, correct?

I'll be shooting PRB's and conicals out of a CVA Hawken with a 1 in 48" twist. I'm still doing some research about starting loads, and am open to suggestions....

Thanks,
Scott
Old 12-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

SKD
In that case a couple inches high at 50 should put you close at 100.
I guess the one thing that does not stand out that made a big difference for me was a good range rod with an adjustable stop that seated the same load the same every time. I had trouble being consistent, got flyers now and the until I got it.