Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

genesis, are they good guns?

Old 12-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default genesis, are they good guns?

i have found a sale on remington genesis muzzleloader, its a blue barrel camo stock for $215.00 shipped. is this a good deal?, and are they good guns? all i've ever owned are cva's, and lately i've had trouble with the action being a little looser than i'd like. i noticed the remington doesn't break open but has a cam that opens, so thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the blued/camo. I think it was about $150 on clearance. They were made by traditions (Rem Genesis is no longer produced), and you'll see basically the same gun from Traditions named the Yukon--with a shorter bbl, I think different sights as well. It shoots good, but the trigger on mine was rather terrible...a little tweaking helped. For the money, I'm happy with the gun. The "torch cam" action needs to be wiped off every few shots so it stays easy to close. Overall, they function pretty well, and you should be able to get it to shoot accurately. If the gun were $215 though, I'd be looking around for a good deal on a better ML.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Dominant Buck

I own a stainless Genesis. I like the rifle personally. And it is a great shooter. I bought mine on sale when Cabela's was clearing them out. Remington is nothing more then a Traditions by the way, with a fancy name and a stainless barrel. Look at their Yukon.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

made by traditions in spain, i sure didn't know that. i thought if it was a remington it would be american. i checked on the yukon its a drop breech, not the same as the remington but close. the reviews on the yukon aren't good, people have had trouble with the breech not staying closed and falling back down, the remington just opens on top with no drop down. i see that remington still has them on their web site, when did they stop making them? since they are made by traditions, i guess i'll wait, i can get a pursuit for the same price.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Dominant Buck

The Yukon and the Genesis are identical except for barrel length. In fact your service is done by Traditions. All the parts of the Yukon fit the Genesis right down to the scope bases.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Genesis I had was also a good shooter. I just prefer my traditionals so I sold it.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

My old Genesis was a great rifle. I wish I hadn't sold it.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SWThomas
My old Genesis was a great rifle. I wish I hadn't sold it.
sorry but i don't believe you ..after shooting a T/C you don't want to hunt with a TRADITION ...
Old 12-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spend a few dollars more and buy an Accura from Cabela's. You won't be sorry.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got that same model from Cabela's for $100 after the rebates and all last year. Honestly it's a great feeling gun and fits me perfectly. However, the quality doesn't seem the best. I like it and it makes a good hunting gun and shoots great. It just has blueing that wears off and scratches off super easily. It also just seems like it's probably not the best quality gun ever made. However it does shoot great and is just a well handling gun. I like it especially for the $100 it cost. I got two deer with it this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.