Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I need as much advice as I can get!

Old 12-09-2009, 03:20 AM
Spike

What do you guys think of the TC Maxi Hunters in .54?
Old 12-09-2009, 04:13 AM
Spike

Nothing wrong with the old lead round ball at short distances. I rarely shoot over 30-40 yds but have taken deer at 90. Powerbelts are designed to not shoot over 80 gr's and is where most get bad results in going over. No need. Heavy conical would be a good choice if you find the right one and load. Too much is put into long distance shots. Part of the hunt is getting close. Primitive is what they call it not modern high power. Remember the fun factor.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

what about terminal K.E. with the .54 round ball? Even if its accurate, I want stopping power for a humane kill.
A .530/.535 ball weighs around 230 grains and has a muzzle velocity of around 1800 fps with 85/90 grains of black powder from a 32" barrel. At 100 yards it's still traveling at a little over 1300 fps and is moving about 400 fps faster than the muzzle velocity of a standard military .45 ACP 230 grain bullet. Most folks would consider the .45 ACP to have adequate stopping power for a point blank shot on a whitetail. At anything considered "woods range" (75 yards or less?) a broadside shot into a whitetail will make a big hole going in and a big hole exiting.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wild Bill Jr
You need to understand a few things about twist rates. The length of the bullet used is what controls twist rates but the caliber also enters into it. To get the right spin on a bullet for it to stabilize brings the load to to play also. for instance the 54 cal you mention is one of my calibers a 1-48 twist works good with a 110gr load but if you use a 1-66 you may be able to get 130 gr load of RS to group tight with a PRB the PRB in a 54 is very effective for North American game. The guys are right about conicals there are some available for a 54 but the range of choices is not near as good as for a 50. I will include some info on twist so you can get a feel for it.
Twist = 150 X D2/L
Where:
D = bullet diameter in inches
L= bullet length in inches
150 = a constant

Twist = C * D2 / L
The original value if C was 150, which yields a twist rate in turns per inch, when given the diameter D and the length L of the bullet in inches. This works to velocities of about 1800 f/s; above those velocities, a C of 180 should be used.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Spike

Great information guys! Very intelligent answers. Thank you. what about FPE? Am I wrong in thinking that the .54 will give me more stopping power on bigger game? I keep all my shots under 100 yds, and my primary game in the lower 48 is boar, deer and bear. But I would love to take moose and some african game with my smokepole. With that being said, what would be better, .50 or .54? I know I am asking alot from one gun, but I want it to be as versatile as possible.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have taken several bear with a 54 PRB no problem with decent shot placement it will take elk and moose to as well as the antelopes of the world. I would not try croc. Cape buffalo hippo or elephant with a PRB of less than 4 gauge.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Spike

Thanks for the help Lee, I will order the Deerstalker .54 tonight. I am looking forward to trying it out.