Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloader recommendation for Washington State

Old 12-02-2009, 07:47 AM
SDK
Spike

Default Muzzleloader recommendation for Washington State

Hey All-

I'm looking to buy a rifle to hunt with in Washington, and need some recommendations as I am completely new to black powder. Links to or descriptions of specific models are welcome. I need it to be .50 caliber as that is a minimum for elk in this state. Here are the Washington state Muzzloader regulations:

Muzzleloading firearms are loaded from the muzzle and use black powder or a black powder substitute. Muzzleloading firearms must be wheel lock, matchlock, flintlock, or percussion lock. A percussion lock firearm must use original-style percussion caps that fit on the nipple and are exposed to the weather. “Exposed to the weather” means the percussion cap or the frizzen must be visible and cannot be covered or enclosed by an integral part of the weapon proper. Telescopic sights are not allowed.

Muzzleloading firearms for deer hunting must be at least .40 caliber. However, buckshot, size #1 or larger, may be used in a smoothbore of .60 caliber or larger.

Muzzleloading firearms for other big game (elk) must be at least .50 caliber, or must fire a round ball or bullet of at least 170 grains

As you can see, I am limited to more primitive rifles with open sights. I'm actually fine with this and looking forward to the challenge. I'm looking for one rifle to handle deer through Elk, and want to keep it below $500...

Thanks in advance...
Scott
Old 12-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check the link I posted near the end of the Inlines thread

http://www.openseasongear.com/Whitet...S_p/000031.htm

Worth a try - you'll like it. It would be set up for musket caps but you can get #11 plugs if desired.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:22 AM
SDK
Spike

Hey- Thanks for the link! I can't get a larger picture to show, but are you sure that this rifle satisfies these two requirements?

Muzzleloading firearms must be wheel lock, matchlock, flintlock, or percussion lock.

A percussion lock firearm must use original-style percussion caps that fit on the nipple and are exposed to the weather. “Exposed to the weather” means the percussion cap or the frizzen must be visible and cannot be covered or enclosed by an integral part of the weapon proper.

That one looks like it has a modern trigger that protects the caps. Again, the picture is small and I am new to black powder, so maybe I'm wrong. Let me know....

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

It will qualify. Best hurry, he can't have many. Also check the other post in the inlines thread, some good pictures.

It shoots .504 conicals which you can buy reasonably from Bull Shop.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:35 AM
SDK
Spike

LOL- Well, with 2 kids and Christmas coming, hurry may not be an option. I did see the better pics you mentioned, and can see that the nipple is exposed. It did answer one question. That being if there are modern options that will qualify.

I am also seriously considering going more traditional. Something like a percussion Hawken type rifle. I want to take my time, get some input and get what I'm sure I want the first time.

Scott
Old 12-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Banned

check out the .54cal Lyman Great Plains rifle. With patched round ball, its perfect out to 150 yards.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

50 or 54 cal percussion...T/C Hawken would be a good place to start
Old 12-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

SDK

Your problem is that most muzzleloaders made today will not qualify in either of the 3 Pacific Northwest States.

When a friend of mine in Kennewick asked me the same question a few years back - my first thought then and the first suggestion now is still the same - "Get a White" Problem they are not being made anymore - but if you can find one get it - Underclocked is your best resource in this task...

My second suggestion would be another rifle no longer being made but you can pick them on the auction sites.... A Remington 700ml

Both the White and the Remington can use all three ignition system and this year in the state of Washington you can even use regular bullets in a sabot - both of these rifles will shoot Conicals and Sabots really well.

There is a rumor that TC is going to build a Pac Northwest compatible gun in the near future, but the way the economy is ????

If you are really thinking that a Traditional rifle will suit your situation them I would make the following suggestion and it is going to sound a lot harder than it is.

But I would suggest that you contact Green Mountain Rifle Barrels and buy a 50 cal GM-LRH barrel (long range hunter). Then off ebay or some other site purchase a TC Renegade or Hawkin stock - put the two together and you would have a great Traditional capable of shooting full bore conicals or sabots. This would make an excellent elk gun to 150 yards - limited only by the open sites that you have to use.

I honestly would not hunt an elk in our hunting situations with a 50 cal patched round ball. If you are wanting to use a round ball use at least a 54 cal. Not that a 50 couldn't do it but you would be terribly limited in range. Plus being a beginner shooter - shooting a PRB accurately is not something that just happens.

Where are you at in Washington? I am across the line next to WSU.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Bronko has a .54 caliber Renegade for sale for $200.00. That is a great rifle and a great deal. I never asked but I am sure the rifle is in good shape. That rifle there will knock down anything you encounter in the State of Washington, it is traditional, it will go off every time once you learn it, and it is a blast to shoot.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

You should get a TC Black Diamond inline that has 3 different nipples that can accept #11's, musket caps and 209's.
It has a conventional striker bolt design and the TC "No BS" lifetime warranty.

There's many used ones on Gunbroker but also some new ones.
Here's a beautiful new extended range version in stainless steel.
I think that Cayugad even has a Black Diamond in his gun cabinet and loves it!

T/C black diamond 26" .50 cal. sst/hardwoods #8949

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=148882339

Last edited by arcticap; 12-02-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.