Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

So should I buy it?

Old 11-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default So should I buy it?

A friend has a Knight muzzle loader that I'm assuming is older but I don't know the model number off hand and I've never looked and this guy is out of town on business so can't look until he gets home. It's not the prettiest rifle out there. It shoots musket caps and is the style where you have to screw the thing out on the bolt before you shoot it. It has a Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 scope however, the scope is bad. I would have to send it into Leupold to get it fixed which wouldn't be a big deal since their customer service is pretty good.
The gun looks to be in decent shape other than that but maybe not great shape. I'd say average for a hunting gun.

He told me today he would take $150 for it. He paid $300 for this setup from one of his friends last year. Should I buy this setup? I've checked out the scope and new it's $210 alone. Then I'm not sure what the gun is worth. Is it worth more than $150? If it's only worth $150 or $175 or something like that I really don't want it. However, if it's a great deal that I should jump on I might would buy it. There are other muzzleloaders I'd much rather have if I wasn't getting a steal on this one I'd just pass it up.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Typical Buck

Stainless or Blue? Check the bore, if it's not rusted out I'd say $150 is a great price.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's blued with a black synthetic stock. No rust that I've seen on the outside but I haven't checked the bore to see if there is any rust.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like a good deal. Many of the old Knights like the BigHorn, Wolverine and LK series are old technology, but they are good shooters.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the bore is good I'd go for it. Take the breech plug out and really take a good look from both ends. I think that leoupold scopes have a lifetime guarantee so that should end up being a great combo.
Art
Old 11-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

hometheaterman

Might check this sale out....

http://www.finfeatherfuroutfitters.c...l-p-20254.html

But as you say Leupold will make that scope brand new - when you get it back