Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Black Diamond Problem

Old 11-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default TC Black Diamond Problem

I have a Black Diamond and have just recently starting having issues with it firing. I've had it now for about 6 years and it has always shot very well. I keep it clean and take great care of it. Well about 2 weeks ago I had an opportunity at a nice 8 and when I pulled the trigger, nothing happened. No misfire, no click, nothing. I quickly checked everything and all looked fine. I "jiggled" my action down and re-****ed it and put the bead on the buck and tried to fire again with no luck. Of course, that was it, the buck walked off. Even when I got back to my truck, I took the 209 out and tried multiple times to dry fire it and it wouldn't work. I took it home and took it apart and put it back together and it seemed to work fine. Well this past week I took it hunting again and was lucky enough to take a doe with it on Wednesday afternoon. Well on Friday in the span of about 15 minutes I tried to shoot another doe about 5 times and my rifle wouldn't fire. It took a lot of patience, and it did finally fire, and I took another doe but I'm not too sure what is going on. Any of you other Black Diamond owners ever have a similar issue???

Sorry for the long whining session!
Old 11-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

The problem has to be in the safety/trigger mechanism. The Black Diamond gets really cruddy. The trigger is not easily removable for routine cleaning because it is held in by pins. Remove the bolt, take the gun out of the stock, hold the gun with the breech end down and spray the trigger mechanism with brake cleaner or some other good spray solvent.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Spike

I had tha twith mine and what i notices was the front screw I had over tightened it and and slow the bolt down just enough so it would not fire so I loosened it a 1/4 turn and oiled up the bolt a little and never had the problem again
Old 11-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Dominant Buck

You have the two solutions right there. I take the barrel out of the stock, take the barrel and trigger assembly outside, and with some brake cleaner, spray the inside of that trigger out real good. Then shake that barrel and trigger to try and work out all the brake cleaner you can. After that I hit it with an air compressor and finally, a very light amount of oil into it. When that back safety gets gummy, it it will slow the bolt down.

Also like mentioned, that back screw by the trigger guard, if you drive it in too far, it can pinch something up there. I never crank them screws into the locking lugs.

I did have the trigger gum up on me, and it did stop the rifle from going off. They just gather a lot of crud.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys! Definitely great to have access to the wealth of knowledge on here.