Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Primers ?

Old 11-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Spike

Default Primers ?

TC Fuison of Winchester triple 777 209 primer. Is the really a difference. I will be useing 777 ffg lose powder? Thanks.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

curiuos on the answer for this one my self. I am going to be using the FFFg 777 got the remington primers as they where all gander had. Hopefully the work for the shortterm atleast.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

The primers specifically designed for inlines are not as 'hot' as regular shotgun 209 primers. The theory is that a reg. 209 primer has enough oomph to lift the bullet slightly off the charge before the charge ignites. The amount of lift varies causing a decrease in accuracy. Is it true. I really couldn't tell you. Some guys in here have not noticed any difference in accuracy. I myself have had improved accuracy with the Winchester ML 209 primers. This may be due to the combination of primer/powder and bullet all equaling my rifle's sweet spot.
Oh and by the way, I think oomph is a technical term. Just in case y'all were wondering.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are a number of people regularly shooting one hole groups with regular reloading for shot shell primers. I personally believe that if there was any truth at all in the theory that the stronger primers lift the bullet and sabot off the powder before it can burn enough to start pushing them down the barrel this would not be so. An other point is the accuracy of Blackhorn powder which requires the stronger primers and out preforms other powders at the longest ranges. The business about the sabot and bullet being lifted off the powder before the powder can burn is male cow piles.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used both Winchester 209 primers which worked fine and later switched to the Fusion primers. They are slightly more but my rifle just loves the Federal Fusion bullets so I thought I'd try out their primers and I've had no reason to switch. I'd like to try out their bullets too but don't want to have to resight my gun in during muzzle loader season and I shoot 295 grain Powerbelts now and the Fusion bullets I saw were 240 grain. I might give them a shot sometime in the off season and see how they shoot.