Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Truck Gun Box

Old 11-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Truck Gun Box

When I head to the hunting lease for a week-end hunt or shooting session I usually take at least three guns, sometimes four or five.

I've always hated the hassle of gun cases. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but putting guns in and out of cases has always irked me.

So yesterday I went to Home Depot and got two sheets of cheap 1/4" luan plywood, a bunch of 1x2x8 wood strips that I ripped into 1x1, some glue and wire brads, and built a box that fits behind the seat of my little extended cab Ford Ranger.

Lined it with some carpet scraps to cushion the guns. Works Great.

Here's my five-gun carrier.

Last edited by Semisane; 11-05-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane

Semi - a man should not carry so many guns... in some places that could git ya in trouble...
Old 11-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Dominant Buck

In Wisconsin, that would be illegal. We have to have all the guns when transported in a case that closes, so you'd still have to put them in their case and then slide them into your fancy wood gun tote. Nice job though.

Come to think.. if you were to put a door on it that locked and label the outside GUNS INSIDE. I think it might be legal. A friend of mine did kind of the same thing in his pickup truck. But he did his in the bed of the truck. He had a topper because he hauled his dogs everywhere (even had a solar powered fan in his topper to draw circulation through the topper for his two dogs). What he did is he build a raised bottom on the floor out of treated wood. Under the main wood sub floor were drawers that pulled out. You had to drop the tail gate of course, then you could pull out these drawers that were six feel long. In them he stored his guns, duck decoys, boots, shells, etc. When you pushed the drawers back into the truck, they had a small key cabinet lock on each drawer and he had the one labeled GUNS INSIDE. He still had to have them in a case though.

At one time in Wisconsin (and I think it still is), it was illegal to lay a rifle out of its case, on your vehicle or in it, such as you take it out of your case and want to lay the rifle on the trunk of the car while you dig for shells, or on the seat. NO NO NO... illegal. You could not rest the rifle against the vehicle, such as prop it against the bumper.. NO NO NO. And if it was loaded it increased the penalty.

My friend did this because of all the gear he hauled around and his dogs liked to chew his gun cases. When him and I was on the bird circuit (we hunted ducks and pheasants all over the state), I drove a Volkswagen diesel truck with a topper I built. I threw my dog in the back, threw my gear back there and told the dog... mess with any of that and your dead. My stuff was never bothered.

Last edited by cayugad; 11-05-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not in some places Sabotloader. I'm in gun/hunter friendly Louisiana.

NO PROBLEM!
Old 11-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

We have to have all the guns when transported in a case that closes.
I hear you Cayugad.

Still - they are in a case, aren`t they? And my truck door closes.

(I could always put a door that closes on that there "multiple gun case". Yeah, I know - tell it to the judge.)
Old 11-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

nice job semi - I was often thinking about something like that over the wheel wells of my truck.
I just hope that old Ranger isn't working too hard carrying all that hardware, plus your big butt.....
Old 11-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Who you calling "big butt" old man???? Oh wait - that's me. Yeah, the truck does kinda sit a little low on the driver's side.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

At one time in Wisconsin (and I think it still is), it was illegal to lay a rifle out of its case, on your vehicle or in it, such as you take it out of your case and want to lay the rifle on the trunk of the car while you dig for shells, or on the seat. NO NO NO... illegal. You could not rest the rifle against the vehicle, such as prop it against the bumper.. NO NO NO. And if it was loaded it increased the penalty.
Wisconsin? That is in the U.S., isn't it ???

You just have to wonder where some of those stupid gun laws came from. What's the point of the "guns inside" label? Is that a state requirement?
Old 11-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

here they just need to be unloaded. Heck year before last i got stopped when loading up getting ready to leave. The CO said wheres your guni said behind my seat.He asked if it was loaded. I said yes but the chamber is empty. He asked if i knew that could be a concealed weapon. I did but told him no i also asked if i would be better off with it semi loaded and sitting right by me so when the local cop pulls me over cause he sees it then get nervous when it is loaded. He laughed and told me he understood and i might be better off unloading the tube. He also said alot of guys leave theres in the bed of the truck. I asked how many of them got stolen. There pretty easy going around here. I hit 75 in a 55 coming come and a cop passed me. Heck last year i got stopped twice hunting. They ask for your license then nothing else. No is the gun yours do you have a handgun are you a felon. Heres your license don't shoot me the next time you see me.
One of the COs told me the reason you get stopped coming out at your truck is if they walked through the woods checking license someone would shoot them. He said he does not step 5 feet off the road unless he really has to.
Some state there a** holes. heck i was target shooting a AR15 in KY and someone left and called the CO told them had a full auto assault rifle at the range. I heard to doors shot about a hour later then two more doors shut. 5 minutes later two plain clothes offices who turned out to Be from the local DEA office walk down and tell me the CO called them to come check me out. The dam CO did not even come down. I offered to let them shoot the gun to check it. I laughed and said i got 500 rounds if you guys want to fire off a few hundred rounds.

Nice case thing I ant got a four door or i would make one.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

That's a nice gun box.

Stupid gun laws only affect honest people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.