Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Why was it so dirty?

Old 11-05-2009, 04:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why was it so dirty?

So I shot my Remington Genesis last weekend. I ended up not cleaning it that night but the next morning instead. I got it so the patches were coming out still looking new. I oiled it down with Remington oil and put it up. Here I am 4 days later and early this morning I ran a couple dry patches through it to try and get the oil out before I hunted with it today. When I ran the dry patches through they were coming out filthy. A little bit of it was never seize from the threads from where the breach plug was fairly heavily coated. However most of the patch looked black like the barrel was dirty. What's the deal here? Why are patches coming out black now while they were coming out very clean when I cleaned it a few days ago?
Old 11-05-2009, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's possible the oil reacted with the bore, some oils do that and change to a darker color. or it was'nt as clean as you thought. Clean it again and if it happens again change to a different oil and see if that works.
(BP)
Old 11-05-2009, 04:35 AM
Banned

typical of rem oil. After applying the rem oil i normally run a couple patches to mop up the excess oil.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Did the patches come out light brown and show the streaks of the rifling? If that's the case, you over oiled with Rem Oil. Just swab the barrel with an isopropyl alcohol patch then a couple dry patches. It will pull the old dirty oil out of the bore.

I have a friend who swears by his method.. He over oils the bore of the rifle, lets it sit about an hour or two, sometimes until later in the day, then he dry patches the oil out of the bore. He says all the oil has worked into the metal by then. I oil up the bore good. Then one dry patch to pull excess. Also I have change over to Montana X-treme gun oil 90% of the time now. I ran out of Sheath, I have a huge can of Rem Oil and a Quart of Breakfree so I have to start using this stuff up.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think it is like changing oil in your truck. You could change it 20 miles later and it is dirty. I had this happen with my 12ga i clean it till it was dry ran a oil patch down it. Then a dry one to dry up some of the oil it was flithy minutes later. The oil pulls the crud out of the corners and the metal. Atleast i think