Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Fast Twist Flintlock

Old 11-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Fast Twist Flintlock

Today it was 40 degrees, over cast and a very strong north wind. Actually sitting outside in my flannel shirt and no jacket, I was actually cold. Also when I say windy, well I picked the sabots up off the ground twice before I learned to snap the lid on the box between loading. Anything not heavy or tied down was not staying on the shooting table today. Patches were something only to be stored in pockets.

I wanted to shoot today because I often hunt in the wind. During muzzle loader season, with snow on the ground and a strong wind, deer will often stay bedded down. If you work the wind with a little stalking rifle, you can often catch them in their bed at some close ranges. I figured my flintlock with a 21 inch GMB would be perfect for that.

I wanted to shoot heavy loads out of it and discovered I was wasting my time. I had the target set at 35 yards which is a normal shooting distance for me. I first tried A-C with 100 grains of Goex 3f and a 250 grain Hornady XTP in a black Harvester Crushed Rib sabot. As you can see, they hit all over the place. I was shooting off my shooting sticks also.

I then swabbed the rifle using alcohol only until the patches were clean. I then also dry patched the barrel. After all, I wanted to be fair to the next load. So I then lowered the charge to 75 grains (as my notes indicated) Almost at once it was like shooting a different rifle.

Ignition was fast until my agate finally stopped sparking good. I had over 40 and probably over 50 shots off it had I counted all the shots. I was impressed with a T/C agate for a T/C rifle. I changed over to a Thomas Fuller Black English Flint and then shot some other bullets before finally I decided I had enough of that wind and called it a day.

This little rifle is easy to carry, fast to shoulder, and with a good flint or agate it just goes off each and every time. With a 75 grain load of 3f Goex and that 250 grain XTP, I think all I have to do is catch one in bed.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dave

Where do find the time? For me there just not seem to be enough time in the day....
Old 11-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Dominant Buck

That's easy, just ignore all household chores..
Old 11-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

That is a nice little short rifle. Did you cut the barrel down or buy it that length? What is the rate of twist?

I really like Green Mountain barrels and Tom Fuller english flints.

Of all nature's elements I enjoy wind the least.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Dominant Buck

I bought this as is from Green Mountain Barrel Company. The rifle was made for a White Mountain Carbine and has a 1-28 twist. It also fits the Hawkins and I decided I needed one you play with. It really is a nice barrel and very accurate.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

That 75 grain load will do the job for sure. Have you ever shot longer 300 grain bullets from that short barrel?
Old 11-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Semisane, yes I have. Another favorite load is the .430 .44 caliber 300 grain XTP in a greeen harvester crushed rib sabot. Also it likes the 300 grain Hornady SST's in a black (supplied) sabot. Another load I have shot but not tested enough, but I have numerous boxes of Buffalo Bullet 375 grain SSB's and they shoot pretty good out it the few I shot.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one of those barrels on a T/C Hawken caplock and it has become my favorite deer hunting rifle.

Shooting it last week with a variety of bullets (250 gr XTP - 300 gr XTP - 350 gr cast .457 lead in an MMP orange sabot) all over 80 gr fffg Goex and all were well inside "minute of deer" groups at 50 yards. I sight in for 75 yards and it's good with a dead-on hold out to 100 yards for deer hunting.

I love that rifle's short overall length! Very handy in a stand, and very good from the ground, plus it is very stable for me when shooting offhand.

Looks like yours is a good performer, too!!!!!!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ive got a shorty barrel on my pennsylvania hunter. its a 1-66 though. need to make time to shoot it.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:13 AM
Typical Buck

Good Info Dave I like the 300 gr hornady .430 in my short barrel I put mine on my Lyman. I had it on my Penn hunter but went back to the long barrel on it. The Lyman came with a 24 in 54 cal. I got to get out and shoot now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.