Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cci inline mzl primers

Old 11-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Banned

Default cci inline mzl primers

i just picked up a package of cci in-line mzl 209 primers. Ive never seen these before so i got a pack along with some copper solvent. Anyone using these cci's? I am hoping that they are cleaner than win777 primers. They cost about $3 less too over the 777 primers.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

let me know going to get some of those and th wins but maybe just get them since the wins are so dirty.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of the potential problems with 209 primers made for ML's is that they tend to be a touch on the weak side. Fine if you're lighting something like real BP or Pyrodex, and they work ok with T7, too. But if you every tried to light a smokeless powder with them like BH209, especially in the cold, you might experience some misfires.

I shoot a Savage with smokeless powder not unlike BH209, and it won't light reliably with T7 primers. I use Federal 209A primers meant for shotshells with no problems.

Mike
Old 11-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Banned

i shoot strictly pyrodex rs. Hopefully they will be cleaner than 777 primers but have the same ( or better!) accuracy.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Federal 209 primers in my old Knight, T/C Omega and Triumph using Pyodex and Triple 7 Magnums without ever having a problem or issue
Old 11-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

BOWHUNTERCOP

This is strictly my opinion, but unless you have to shoot those hot primers (like shooting BH) then i would really pass. They will eventually and prematurely eat out the flash hole on your BP. The gas cutting is always there and always accelerated with those hot primers.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
BOWHUNTERCOP

This is strictly my opinion, but unless you have to shoot those hot primers (like shooting BH) then i would really pass. They will eventually and prematurely eat out the flash hole on your BP. The gas cutting is always there and always accelerated with those hot primers.
Erosion of the flash hole is an issue, this is true. This is one reason that Savage designed the 10ML series with a replaceable "vent liner" rather than a one piece machined breechplug. As the hole wears and opens, accuracy drops off substantially. The stock vent liners, which are pretty soft, last about 50-100 shots depending on the powder and primer used. I use a hardened steel vent liner sold by Randy Wakeman that has lasted well over 100 shots without problems, and are said to last in the 250-300 shot range. Eventually, any ML will need to replace a worn breechplug if not equipped with a replaceable vent liner. It's just a matter of how many shots it'll take before it noticeable accuracy is lost.

Mike
Old 11-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Except for an aborted experience with the Winchester 777 primers i have always used Winchester shotgun primers. The breech plug in my old CVA StagHorn was replaced after 800-1,000 rounds were fired through the gun. The flashhole was enlarged and i was getting a lot of blowback. The accuracy was still good, however.