Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Am headed in the right direction.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Am headed in the right direction.

Ok here my plan. I will be shooting the tc triumpg with the omega bdc scope using the shockwave sabots with the black sabot. The 250 grain loads non bounded.

Start out with 100 grains of 777loose(because i can not find bh209 there2 to 4 weekbackordered)
Properly the CCi or win. primers unless theres a better brand.
Use windex patches to clean between every shot. Figure i will shot run a couple wet patches down the bore then a few dry patches. Then run a patch or maybe two of rubbing alcohole to dry it out. Shot again rebeat cleaning. And so on. Hopefully i can have it dead on at a 100 yards in 10 or less shots with good groups. Then step out and shoot 3to 6 shots at 150,200,250 and be dead on at those ranges. I figure i will take 20 shots or less for all this. Hopefully as i do not want to go back and buy more sabots. I figure 30 would do me till i get paid the 1st of dec. Figure 20 for target shooting and 10 to have for hunting. Can i get 30 shots out of a pound of 777 at 100 grains?
How many grains of 777 will it take to equal 150 grains of pyrodex. As the scope is set for 150 grains of pyrodex.
Should i use gun oil between shots or shoot on a bone dry barrel. Is alittle oil ok.
Does this all sound right.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

bigtim6656

Hope you have fun.. and do not get frustrated... sometimes the path is not as easy as it might seem...

Personally i would start at 25 yards and I would shoot several rounds just to get you and the gun working together - then move out in yardage.... Cayugad shoots every day at 35 yards - you have a lot to put together before you worry about the longer ranges....
Old 11-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
Ok here my plan. I will be shooting the tc triumpg with the omega bdc scope using the shockwave sabots with the black sabot. The 250 grain loads non bounded.

Start out with 100 grains of 777loose(because i can not find bh209 there2 to 4 weekbackordered)
Properly the CCi or win. primers unless theres a better brand.
Use windex patches to clean between every shot. Figure i will shot run a couple wet patches down the bore then a few dry patches. Then run a patch or maybe two of rubbing alcohole to dry it out. Shot again rebeat cleaning. And so on. Hopefully i can have it dead on at a 100 yards in 10 or less shots with good groups. Then step out and shoot 3to 6 shots at 150,200,250 and be dead on at those ranges. I figure i will take 20 shots or less for all this. Hopefully as i do not want to go back and buy more sabots. I figure 30 would do me till i get paid the 1st of dec. Figure 20 for target shooting and 10 to have for hunting. Can i get 30 shots out of a pound of 777 at 100 grains?
How many grains of 777 will it take to equal 150 grains of pyrodex. As the scope is set for 150 grains of pyrodex.
Should i use gun oil between shots or shoot on a bone dry barrel. Is alittle oil ok.
Does this all sound right.
120 grains of Triple Seven is supposed to be equal to 150 grains of Pyrodex or Triple Seven pellets. I personally would shoot 110 grains. There is well over 50 shots in that pound of powder.

Don't use oil between shots. Shoot on a clean dry barrel and just swab between shots.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do not oil except to store. And clean oil out as well as possible before loading.
Between 110 and 120 gr of either 777 or BH will put you on your marks normally. There are several things that enter into it, I use 60 pounds of wad pressure when seating my loads. [ this is approximate as I only rig up to measure it when I am setting my stops. With a tight sabot and 60# wad pressure my Omega Nikon is on all the way out with 115 gr of BH and 120 gr of 777-FF. Lee
Old 11-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I forgot starting at 25 yard for sighting it in. I guess 110 would be the place to start with the scope. How do you know how much pressure your putting on the load how do i know i am at 60 pounds.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

nice to know 50 rounds per pound guess buying 2 pounds might not be needed.