Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What the ****

Old 11-02-2009, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default What the ****

I called gander to see if they had bh209 they don't. They do not even carry it. The guy did not even know what i was talking about. So i called the one in indy nope they do not sell it but the guy knew it but said they did not have enough of a demand for it. So i guess i am back to using 777 atleast to start with.

What do i need to use when cleaning a triumph when i am using 777 or pyrodex. Can i use the rifle cleaner like bh209 or do i need a black powder solvent.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ohh ya and cabelas has the bh209 on sell but there back ordered for atleast two weeks
Old 11-02-2009, 06:48 AM
Dominant Buck

To clean 777 you can use a black powder solvent. You can also use water, or any basic home cleaner like 409, Simple Green, Windex, etc. The only time you really need solvent is when you suspect lead, copper, or plastic build up in the rifle.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

question. If i am at the range using solvent. If i swab it with solvent clean it then oil it. Should i have it completely dry when loading or is a little oil ok. Normaly i clean a rifle or any gun with solvent then oil it. Then run a dry patch or two down the barrel. Normaly i leave alittle oil down the barrel not alot but some. Is this bad with loose powder in a muzzy.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

bigtim6656

Many places are not carrying BH because of the expense per jug.

BH is a very good powder powder - but there is a learning curve that goes along with it.

If you are just starting it might be easier to start with a sub then switch to BH if you are so inclined.

I have shot a fair share of BH but I continue to shoot T7 just because of expense. If I were shooting forhunting only no doubt in my mind I would probably shoot BH, but I just go through powder to fast.

If you choose to go with T7 and that would be my suggestion, there is also a learning curve - how to deal with the fouling or as it is called the 'crud ring'. Some folks have a terrible time with this others like myself - really do not even notice it. Where or how it will effect you I am not sure.

If you choose T7 then in the beginning plan on running a slighlty moist patch after each shot to wipe the bore. I prefer to use regular old windex - it cuts/dissolves the 'crud ring' like magic.

Cleaning T7 is not a chore... a few windex patches will easily field clean your bore and then following anything that Cayugads suggests will finalize the project.... T7 resiude is water soluable - keep that in mind.

Let us know what you might do - we can all add a little help here and there....
Old 11-02-2009, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nowi see I thought by using windex or water you just pour it downt he barrel i can deal with using the patches. So if it water solvent should i run the windex down then run some alcohole down it to dry it. Then hold the oil for storage after shooting. Good windex power caps sabots cleaning stuff seems like i need a big bag to store the crap in. Good thing i want a new tackle box and my current one is real big. IT should hold everything. I think i have everything in mind i will post a layout of my plan and you guys can tell me if it is ok or not.
Originally Posted by sabotloader
bigtim6656

Many places are not carrying BH because of the expense per jug.

BH is a very good powder powder - but there is a learning curve that goes along with it.

If you are just starting it might be easier to start with a sub then switch to BH if you are so inclined.

I have shot a fair share of BH but I continue to shoot T7 just because of expense. If I were shooting forhunting only no doubt in my mind I would probably shoot BH, but I just go through powder to fast.

If you choose to go with T7 and that would be my suggestion, there is also a learning curve - how to deal with the fouling or as it is called the 'crud ring'. Some folks have a terrible time with this others like myself - really do not even notice it. Where or how it will effect you I am not sure.

If you choose T7 then in the beginning plan on running a slighlty moist patch after each shot to wipe the bore. I prefer to use regular old windex - it cuts/dissolves the 'crud ring' like magic.

Cleaning T7 is not a chore... a few windex patches will easily field clean your bore and then following anything that Cayugads suggests will finalize the project.... T7 resiude is water soluable - keep that in mind.

Let us know what you might do - we can all add a little help here and there....
Old 11-02-2009, 07:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

bigtim6656

So if it water solvent should i run the windex down then run some alcohol down it to dry it.
You really do not even need alcohol... I have never been a fan of putting a flammable down a possible hot bore with possible burning embers still in the bore... It really is probably OK because alcohol has a high flash point.

But, with windex the is no need to use alcohol for drying - windex has ammonia in it that evapaorates in a hurry and carries water vapor with it.... THE KEY is not to get the windex patch to wet - just barely damp... then you do not even need to dry patch...

There are other things that I do that do not follow the norm... This notion that you should strip your bore with alcohol before shooting is a relic left over from the days of true black powder shooting... or the concern that the sabots might slip over the lands in the barrel - if the sabots fit your bore correctly they will not slip... Today if you do not saturate your bore with a quality oil all you have to do is run a couple of windex patches and couple of dry patches - pop a couple of primers and commence shooting.

Hunting in a cold wet atmosphere with a stripped bore seems kind counter-productive to me also...

Oh-well like I say - I break a lot of the norm rules but it sure works for me....

When it gets right down to it - you will develope your own techniques and that is what you will use...

Last edited by sabotloader; 11-02-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

At the range, do NOT use oil between shots. Only use oil to store the rifle. Swab with a Windex patch, run one or two dry patches to dry the bore, reload, shoot, repeat.

Sounds to my like you're way overthinking this. Shooting a ML isn't like putting a rocket into orbit. It's really pretty simple. Too bad you don't have anyone to go with you to just demonstrate this to you. That would be the best way. If you lived anywhere close to me, I'd gladly take you out and show you.

Mike
Old 11-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know one old guy who did his own reloading. and shot muzzleloaders way back in the good old days. Not sure he is who i want teaching me how to shoot a new inline muzzy. SO no oil no shooting a rocket into orbit ok i can get that
I tend to over think stuff.
Originally Posted by driftrider
At the range, do NOT use oil between shots. Only use oil to store the rifle. Swab with a Windex patch, run one or two dry patches to dry the bore, reload, shoot, repeat.

Sounds to my like you're way overthinking this. Shooting a ML isn't like putting a rocket into orbit. It's really pretty simple. Too bad you don't have anyone to go with you to just demonstrate this to you. That would be the best way. If you lived anywhere close to me, I'd gladly take you out and show you.

Mike
Old 11-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I found it odd also that G.M. doesn't carry BH 209
I think it is one of the most popular.
As far as the guy not knowing about it.
Remember,he may have been selling shoes last week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.