Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Loading loose with a sabot

Old 11-02-2009, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Loading loose with a sabot

IF i am loadin loose blackhorn with a shockwave 250 sabot how do i load it. DO i just load the powder then the sabot or do i put a wad between the two. BEsides a volume measure flask for the powder is there anything special i need for loose powder.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just measure the charge and dump it down the bore. I then tap the side of the rifle a couple times to get the powder to settle. Then, holding the bullet into the sabot, ensuring that the base of the bullet is touching the bottom of the cup, start the sabot/bullet into the muzzle with your fingers until it won't easily go any further. Using your short starter (with a bullet appropriate attachment), press the bullet as far down as it'll go. Then switch to your ramrod and seat the bullet the rest of the way down. Since BH209 is smokeless powder, when the bullet hits the powder charge it'll feel very solid. Apply firm pressure to fully seat the sabot against the charge, REMOVE THE RAMROD, prime, aim and fire.

The sabot acts as an effective wad/gas check. No other wadding is required or advisable.

Mike
Old 11-02-2009, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ok well just got some bad news. I went to call gander to see if they have the BH209 they don't. The one in the next town did not have it and the guy did not even know what i was talking about The one in indy did not have it he saidnot enough people wanted it for them to carry it.
So i went to cabelas figured i would order some. Figured with the sale and i could get the primers to so the 20 bucks for haz shipping would be accepable. Nope cabelas is on back order and the st louis store is out. So i guess i will be starting wiht 777. Does thatchange anything
Old 11-02-2009, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

The difference will be that T7 leaves a good deal of fouling after each shot, usually including the much dreaded "crud ring," and will require that you swab the bore after each shot. I've always either used plain ol' spit, or more often Windex w/o ammonia. Squirt a patch with Windex, swab the bore in short strokes until going further each time until you reach the breech. Then run two dry patches to dry the bore.

Also, T7, both the powder and the fouling, are both hygroscopic (they soak up moisture from the air). If the gun is left dirty for any length of time the fowling will soak up moisture and the bore will begin to rust. Because of this, it is very important that you clean the rifle thoroughly after every shooting session ASAP, and I'd not wait any more than 24 hours at most.

Mike
Old 11-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep,G.M. does not carry it nor much else for that matter at least not a mine.
Stuff for the 45 is almost non existant,I couldnt even find cleaning jags for it.
If you shoot 50 cal you still have a limited selection unless you shoot powerbelts or Shockwaves and they sell out fast.
My Wally world is the same way,PB's and SW's and 50 cal only.
I do get powder and primers from them though but no BH 209.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

also i have noticed gander has come to be more of a high end sports store. Seems they catier to the elite out there with alot of money who just wants to feel like there fishing or hunting or even canoiing. The store in indy is huge has alot of stuff mainly clothes, little one or two man canoies but there gun selection is not all that good there archary selection good be better for a big store in indy. Reminds me of the american chopper esp. Where pauly and mikey goes in buys a bunch of tent sleeping bags and camping stuff a couple quad and goes off to some land they own with water elec and a 1/2 million dollar rv waiting on paul sr. I love those guys but seems they wanted the feel for camping without camping. a month ago a couple was in there the guy bought a 800 guna 400 scope ammo camo all the stuff to hunt. He said he was turning his den into a hunting room. I guess he was going out west to hunt. he told me that he booked some trip 10 days hunting for him and a bunch of girly stuff for his wife. Cost was like 5k each. I asked why the place did not supply a gun and so on he said they did he was buying his own gear for his den said he might need it next year when they go back or to africa to hunt. I asked why he did not plan on hunting the season here. His words to quate him " then i would need a stand and go out scouting, then gun my own deer and that sounds nasty" i asked if his wife ate deer nope nither do i it taste naste i just want to hunt. I wanted to say hey dumb*** that ant hunting you ant a hunter. But i held my tounge thinking there goes petas spooksman of the year.
I can picture him and his buddys talking about that trophy he killed and his camo and gun sitting on the wall never shot and the price tag is still on the camo. Heck i bet he will never load a round in the gun.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

You definitely don't want to use a patch between the powder and the sabot. When using that powder and that sabot, just mash the bullet/sabot down on the powder as hard as you can.

As for the powder... I think there's a discount on it at Cabelas right now. If you buy enough you can justify the HAZMAT fee.