Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

where to aim

Old 11-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default where to aim

I have came to be a bow hunter mainly. HAve not gun hunted but twice in four years. Not that i did not want to just happend. I have always held by bow on the heart. To local guys have told me to aim for the upper front shoulder the neck or the spine. IS this true. Seems on the spine a high shot would miss. I guess on a high front shoulder if your high you hit the spine low you hit the heart. On a neck shot i would guess it is hit or miss. Seems to me on a heart shot with holding on the shoulder midway up would give yout he best shot with any gun. Where do you guys aim with a muzzleloader?
Old 11-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Aim dead center on the lungs, a high hit you should still get the top of the lungs and a low shot you should get the heart, a center lung shot is your best option. A shot at the shoulder could result in a broken leg and a deer that goes forever and never found, a shot at the spine is too tough to do, to high and you miss, to low and you may get that (hollow-spot) below the spine and above the lungs. A neck shot is iffy unless you get the spine or jugular vein. Siick with dead center lungs
(BP)
Old 11-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

I use the method above and have never had a problem,most DRT. I have read on here some like a high shoulder shot to break shoulders so they cant run, ill stick with what hasnt failed me yet.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on the bullet,game,distance all sorts of variables.
If I'm shooting a lead bullet I shoot like a bowhunter
If it's a solid and not to far for my particular charge I will shoot shoulder or high shoulder.

I will take a neck shot with my centerfire if the shot presents itself.

What are you shooting?
Old 11-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

A TC triumph with shockwave 250s proplery 120 to 150 grains of powder less if i go with 777 or blackhorn. and deer hunting.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

At close range I would break him down with a shoulder hit (using the bonded SW) but from a distance right behind the shoulder.

I'll get out of the way so the more experianced shooters can help you more.
Good luck friend.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

If an animal is standing broadside and the front leg straight vetical, simply follow the leg up to the body. Right at the body is the elbow. Go directly above the "point" of the elbow 1/2 way up the body. That is the sweet spot for me. I used to go further behind this, but with that if you miss a few inches backward you are already into the liver/gut area. With the area just above the elbow, if you actually hit that spot, you lose very little of the shoulder meat and if you miss a little in any direction, the animal still goes down in short order.

This is the exact spot in aim for with a bow as well. Again, I used to aim back of that and that creates more problems if the arrow flies slightly off target.

Obviously if he is angling away from you , you shoot back fo this spot and vise versa.

Last edited by txhunter58; 11-01-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Center low 1/3 of the lungs for me.

to high and you miss, to low and you may get that (hollow-spot) below the spine and above the lungs.
With all due respect, there is no such place. The lungs fill the whole chest cavity.
Deer can occasionaly survive a high lung hit and/or run a good distance making recovery difficult.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Center low 1/3 of the lungs for me.

With all due respect, there is no such place. The lungs fill the whole chest cavity.
Deer can occasionaly survive a high lung hit and/or run a good distance making recovery difficult.
Sorry Steve, I have been Hunting for years, and Im a True Bowhunter at heart. There's been many a Deer shot through this (hollow-spot) below the spine and above the lungs, and have survived. I really hate to argue with you on this one, but the spot is there. Many have been shot in Gun Season only to find this wound from an archer, or even gun.
(BP)
Old 11-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bowhunter here too - seach for "void" at AcheryTalk or the Bowsite.
Plenty of pic's and evidence from vets and other medical pro's
proving there is no hollow spot. Like I said, high lung can survive.
Most "void" hits are actually above the spine thru the backstraps.
Not argueing here either - just pointing out the fact that the lungs fill the entire cavity in a living animal with the spine being at the top of the cavity making it
physically impossible for a void to exist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.