Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

barricade in a muzzleloader??

Old 11-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default barricade in a muzzleloader??

i just got thru cleaning my muzzleloader after sighting in 777 powder. i found a little rust in my gun nothing bad just light spot or two, i have used bore butter for years cause it was made for muzzleloaders. i have heard recently that its not the best for a muzzleloader and if not used just right it will cause rust to form. i went to my gun shop earlier and asked them, they said absolutely to not use any regular gun products in a muzzleloader. they said to use non pretroleum cleaning products, and bore butter or a natural rust preventive. i have used barricade for years in my other guns and none have any rust issues, will it be ok after cleaning my barrel to put barricade in it to prevent rust? thanks for any help.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sheath and Barricade are the same thing. I happened to know that several others besides my self were using it. I decided to try Montana X bore protector and have stayed with it but not because of any problem with Sheath or Barricade. 777 and Borebutter does not seem to be a good combination I had problems with it to.
Try a can of Blackhorn if you get a chance. Lee
Old 11-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

About the only criticism I have of T/c is their spreading the idea that you shouldn't use petroleum based products in your muzzleloader barrels. I have heard the same line from young clerks working in sporting good stores. I think they get the idea from the Thompson Center reps who, of course, want to sell there bore butter.
There is nothing wrong with using Barricade, Breakfree, or any of the good gun oils in your bore. Just use an alchohol patch and a couple dry patches before shooting.
Art
Old 11-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Sheath and Barricade what ever one you call it is a great product. If you alcohol patch the barrel, pop a cap, then a dry patch or two, before you load, any Sheath is removed. Now all your shooting on is a clean, rust free, bone dry barrel. I used to use Barricade all the time. Then I went to Montana X-treme products when I ran out of the Sheath. I also use Rem Oil with Teflon.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sheath, barricaid, MX BC, are all great to use. The thinking of using non petroilum based products on the inside of your barrel is because the non petroilum products are not suppos-to react with your powder causing (wet powder) that will not fire.
If you use petroilum based oils just dont (over-do-it) too much and you will have some trouble, mabey. Just use a little and dont gob it in and you'll be fine.
(BP)
Old 11-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

i use regular gun oil. protects from rust way better. just snap a couple caps off and alcohol wipes before you load. i do like fluid film also. its natural lanolin and is a long term rust preventer. bore butter is good for the grooves in a maxi ball. thats about it.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Find a new gun shop.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. Your gun shop doesn't know what they're talking about. Barricade is great stuff.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Must be something with the T-7 and bore butter, I had the same problem. Not bad rust, just a very light bit on a clean patch ran down the bore a day or two after cleaning.

Never had any problems with bore butter and other powders, and never had any problems with T-7 and other lubricants/protectants.

I switched to RemOil and have never seen any problems with using it in place of bore butter. I have switched to RemOil with all my muzzleloaders and powders (BP - Pyro - T-7) and it works fine.

I'm sure similar products should give similar results.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

When those products are not around I use WD-40 or silicone on patches to the point that the patches are not dripping wet but damp and I have not had a problem with rust using Pyrodex both in loose and pellet form. I do the usual hot water cleaning methods then put the patches through a few times and it works for me.