Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shipping a Muzzleloader

Old 10-21-2009, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default Shipping a Muzzleloader

A person wants to buy one of my muzzleloaders. What is the legal procedure to ship a ML from private party to private party?

Do I have to send it to a FFL dealer in his area?? Can I send it UPS? Any info would be appreciated. Never did this before. kl
Old 10-21-2009, 08:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

klundin2000

In most states a ML is not considered covered under the Firearms laws - so they can be shipped directly to another person.

but,

In 5 states they are considered a firearm and can not be shipped person to person. I can not put my mind on which 5 states those are.... but if you were to go to a Cabelas catalog and look in the ML rifle section - it might tell you which states they can not ship to....
Old 10-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Spike

From Cabela's web site;
Old 10-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shipped Muzzleloaders that I have sold with no problem. I think some of those states that Cabela's mentions just have certain parts of them with restrictions. For example, I think parts of Michigan are ok to ship to. I think California and Illinois are the worst.
Art
Old 10-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

depends upon the state you are shipping to...
Old 10-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

I think that also depends on the muzzle loader . I know with a Encore and Apex because you can change barrels with a center fire it is different . I know you have to get a BG check for them, but not with most other muzzleloaders , at least here in utah . MY Tradition i got through the mail , but my Encore i had to get through a FFL dealer and pay the BG fee .
Old 10-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

here i some info !!

http://www.thegunzone.com/ship-guns.html
Old 10-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

All I can tell you for sure is that if the recipient lives in Iowa, and it's not a 4473 switchbarrel gun like an Encore, then you can ship it to his house UPS. That's how I got my 10ML-II... UPS.

Mike