Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Percussion to Flint Question

Old 10-13-2009, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Percussion to Flint Question

I have the opportunity to trade for a TC Hawken .50 1/48 twist in percussion. It belongs to a good friend of mine-in fact, he brought it to me to refinish the stock and polish the barrel and brass so it’s in dandy shape.

My question is this: Would I be able to convert it to a flintlock by simply swapping to a flint barrel and replacing the lock? Or is there something w/the triggers or stock design that will prevent you from making the switch? I’ll probably make the trade anyway but I’d like to convert it if possible.

Also, did TC ever make a .54 in flint that will drop into them? Green Mtn only shows a .50 right now.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

The problem would be getting the touch hole in the proper position...I've seen on another forum where a guy tried this and the touch hole was too low and not centered in the pan...

Now, if you could get a barrel, fit to the stock and then drill the touch hole in the proper position you might be in business...

When building a flintlock drilling the touch hole is one of the last things that is done before stock and barrel finishing...

No problem with the trigger because the lock will go into the same place...
Old 10-13-2009, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

being a production gun, id think that if you bought a flintlock and barrel for the stock, it aughta drop right in...almost willing to bet the stocks are cut the same...

but, your looking at a few hundred dollars...may as well pick up a used flintlock IMO...i almost tried it because id like to have a percussion gun to hunt with in rifle season when its wet out...

never thought the barrels and touch holes wouldnt line up...but i guess they may not..and with a flintlock its gotta be right..
Old 10-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mauser...This guy thought the same thing but it didn't work out that way...I'll try to find the post and put it up..
Old 10-13-2009, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Mauser...This guy thought the same thing but it didn't work out that way...I'll try to find the post and put it up..
Yeah I'd be interested in that if you can find it.

Is there anyonen who has both a flint and percussion and could verify it?
Old 10-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

In theory it will work but in practicality( as others have pointed out) the touch hole may not be in the proper position for fast ignition. Thompson Center Arms did produce a 54 caliber renegade with flint ignition. I have converted several rifles from percussion to flint ignition and it can be tricky.The engineering problems can be seemingly endless. My advice would be to buy or trade for a rifle that was originally built with flint ignition.

The percussion Renegade is a fine rifle in every respect that will serve you well. However, if a flintlock is really what you want you may want to look elsewhere.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Banned

from what ive seen on the traditional site, tc cant even line up the touchholes correctly when they build them.

It should just drop right on but theres always that day when things wont line up.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I appreciate all the info. I'm going to take the trade, it's too good of a deal to turn down but I won't convert it. It shoots extremely well right now as it is. Probably shouldn't mess with a good thing anyway.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Typical Buck

I swap many t/c percussion set -up into a flint system
Will thay just drop in NO some inletting is needed and some lock plates are not a drop in also they need to be inletted too.
The vent liner holes sometimes you will get lucky other times the tang and barrel may need shimming and glass beding not hard just take a little time.
I have here a old t/c hawkens flinter 50 cal. I drop into a PA. hunter percussion set-up
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...r/P1010007.jpg
I done many over the years,I am working now on a new flinter 54 cal.
I just pick up a 1 in 66 twist RB Barrel T/C special run barrel a used renegade stock ,I have a older flint lock plate all drop in with out any work needed.