Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

how far

Old 10-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Spike

Default how far

i bought my first muzzleloader last fall and im wondering how far i can realistically shoot at a deer my equipment is a traditions pursuit xlt 3 - 9 scope 250 grain hornady, bullets and 2, 50 grain triple seven pellets. also wondering if i can up it to 3, 50 grain pellets.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default long

you need to check your manual for the load ranges your gun will accept. Practice [ractice practice will tell you how far you can shoot.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is really no one that can tell you the max range except yourself. As stated, practice and see. Remember to factor in excitement and less than optimal rests (no sandbags in the field). And also take a look at how much the wind affects muzzleloader bullets. These bullets go realatively slow and even a 10 mph wind will affect them.

FYI, my own personal max range is 150 yards. And that is after 15 years of hunting. I can't imagine ever going over 200 yards under absolute ideal conditions and a good scope.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Generally limit my shots to about 75 yards unless i have a good steady rest or a good prone or sitting position. Practice often at ranges longer than 100 yards and see what your personal limit is.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

My rule is this: Using the same set up as I would be using in the woods i.e. shooting sticks, resting off the side of a tree, out of a tree stand, out of a box stand, shoot 3 shot groups and see if you can keep them inside of 3 inches. If you can, then you should be good to shoot at game at that distance. Once you throw in the excitement your groups will open up to 4 or 5 inches I would guess.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:35 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by TNHagies
My rule is this: Using the same set up as I would be using in the woods i.e. shooting sticks, resting off the side of a tree, out of a tree stand, out of a box stand, shoot 3 shot groups and see if you can keep them inside of 3 inches. If you can, then you should be good to shoot at game at that distance. Once you throw in the excitement your groups will open up to 4 or 5 inches I would guess.
Well said.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Most of the modern muzzleloading projectiles will do the deed at some amazing ranges if placed properly. There are shooters connecting at over 200 yards. The key words are; placed properly. But for right now, I would limit my range in direct correlation to how far I have successfully shot acceptable groups under hunting conditions in practice. If your shooting at 100 yards, leaning against a tree in practice accurately, then presented a similar shot in the field, then take it. Would a 110 yards be OK.. that is up to you.

For instance, on my range I practice out to 100 yards. A lot of my shooting is done off a bench rest. But before season I change over to shooting sticks. I hunt from shooting sticks. I can hit my target from shooting sticks. But to be very honest, off hand I might not take the same shot. I have shot off hand or free hand and am not real impressed with my ability.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

My personal limit with a scoped muzzle loader is 150 yards if I have a good solid rest, a relaxed deer, and a perfect broadside shot. Less than perfect conditions and I'm limited to 75 yards or so.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think we all try to determine the range according to several things.
The accuracy which your gun is capable of,if you can get minute of angle groups with your hunting load then its probably more accurate than most people can shoot under field conditions.
The way you are sighted in. I personally believe in the 3 over to 3 under method so I sight in for 3 over at 100yds. With my hunting load that puts me 3 under at 200 yds.
[140gr BH a blue 50/40 sabot and a Shock Wave or Lehigh bullet 200gr]
I can shoot 100 yds off hand with confidence but will find a rest to go over that.
Know assuming that you are a good shot and sight in 3 inches high at 100 with your load you will be about dead on at 140 and 3 inches low at 160. Now guns vary so do people you need to check this out at the range, Hornady makes more than one 250gr I assume you are using the XTP if you are using the SST or the SW it will be shooting flatter.
AS for the number of pellets very few will shoot 3 accurately in fact most of us use loose because you can tune your accuracy better with the ability to change the powder load to what the gun likes. If you are getting close to inch groups at 100 yds then don't worry about it and don't change any thing.
ALSO THERE is the fact that you should not exceed there max amount in you operaters manual for that gun. The only Spanish barrel I would even consider using over 110 gr in is the Bergara.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Spike

Default good info

thanx guys for the responses. the reason i asked was because i took my first ever shot at an animal with it last evening with a smoke pole. a real nice 165+ whitetail only problem was he was pushing 150 yards. needless to say i missed . i had a perfect broadside shot with shooting sticks and held right on the top of his back,. i had the gun sighted for 80 yards . guess i better hit the range and try some shots at longer ranges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.