Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Stock reinforcement?

Old 10-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Banned

Default Stock reinforcement?

Guys im working on my Traditions Evolution right now. I filled up the barrel lug area with JB Weld and will give it a couple days to dry, i did the entire lug and just used plastic wrap around the barrel and just wank it off after its dry.

Heres the deal:

When ever the barrels heats up from shooting + the hot sun during the summer, the rifle is all over the place. It got to the point where it hurt your hands to touch the stock or barrel due to the heat.

Im hoping by bedding the barrel lug and free floating the barrel, the heat wont affect it anymore. Ive already removed to tiny little dents in the stock that were rubbing up against the barrel. Once its lifted, it will be entirely free floated.

What else can i do to help this problem?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Banned

well i got it all finished tonight. I used a couple pop can shims under the lugs and then had to remove a lot of material at the nose of the stock. Basically had to reshape the entire area due to the pressure it put on the barrel. I'll give it a couple days to dry and then try out some 385gr buffalo conicals and some 405 powerbelts.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

You MAY have better luck with the conicals and PERHAPS the PBs, but the heat issue is bigger than stock contact. With sabots, it's the barrel temp softening the plastic which destroys accuracy. So you may still have an issue with the PBs as the skirt is plastic. My guess is the conicals will fare better.

I simply let the gun cool a lot longer in hot weather. It is not realistic to expect a hot gun to continue shooting accurately. Even my centerfire guns lose accuracy when they get hot.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Banned

Took the Evolution out today. Feeling a lot better now.

50 yards open sights with 80gr RS and 405gr HP Powerbelt.

The 2 circled holes were with 385gr buffalo conicals, i cant get those things to shoot worth a spit in any rifle i ever shot them in.

The cluster of 3 were the Powerbelts. I was happy! This is also my first time shooting the Evolution since i free floated the barrel. Seems to be working well but i need more range time with it.