Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Saturday morning @ the Farm

Old 09-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Saturday morning @ the Farm

I got one of those feeling this is going to get really long... Terry hates it when I try to write something - I can not be brief - so bare with me.

Went to the farm with a few different thoughts in mind...
1. I wanted to test two different vent liners in a modified Knight FPJ breech plug.
2. I want to get some chrono times to verifly a finding discovered by Grouse.
3. I wanted to shoot the used/new Knight DISC Elite that i got on Wednesday.
4. I added an extra step at the end and decided that I wanted to shoot some long distant shots... it turned out to be 240 yards.
5. Verifiy that this Cabelas 3x10x40 Powder Horn scope might be as good as I thought.

When I got to the farm and got everything set - it was great... great temperature and little wind. That would change in the next 15 minutes to a very vigorous swirling wind at the silos and blowing straight down the draw....

I decided to start shooting with some Hornady 250 grain FTX bullets - needed to use them for something because I would never use them for hunting.

I had installed a Lehigh Extended Vent Liner, used to get what is called 'center ignition'. This is a prototype liner that Lehigh Dave wanted to try, and I actually thought it might reduce blow-bac into the Knight bolt. It did not stop the blow back and after thinking about it - I can totally understand why. It also produced a reduced velocity as it leaked pressure back.

After, conteplateing the small problem(s) mentioned above - I had a bigger problem! Both FTX shots - tumbled @ 50 yards... (See Group #1 two shots) My first thoughts.. shoot this barrel is shot!!!(remember it is a new to me used gun). Decided to move from the FTX's to a known good bullet - grabbed a box of Speer 250 grain Gold Dots. Considering the wind - I considered Group #2 somewhat a success. The Gold Dots did fit a little tighter going down the bore also - got a little extra velocity.

I then made some adjustements. I pulled the breech plug took the extend vent liner out and installed the domed Lehigh vent liner GOOD move on my part. It was a ton cleaner and velocities moved back up where I thought they should be with a 250 grain bullet and 100 grains of T7. I also made a scope adjustment loaded up the Gold Dot again - took a three shots - made a final adjustment and shot 4 and 5. (See Group #3).

Then I decided to make another bullet switch to a .458/300 grain Sierra. I had decided this gun will become and elk gun so I wanted to shoot some 45-70 type rifle bullets from it. I also upped the powder up to 120 grains... (Group #4)

Group #5 - this is the bullet that will be shot from this gun for elk season at some point in the future. The Lehigh .458/275 grain bullet broke the paper great.

If you would want to read more about my converted FPJ plug. Look at this thread.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...t-morning.html

And if you look at this thread you will see how the domed vent liner faired in the blow-bac department - It was good....

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...high-plug.html

At this point I thought I had accomplished my goals... but I could not resist the urge to shoot something long with the Lehighs...

I looked around in the wheat stubble and found a 'green' clump of something near the top of the ridge... Decided I was going to take the shot(s) Remember I had sighted this gun in at 50 yds and had not verified it 100 or any other distance.

Shot #1 - I held directly on the target with the apeture. The shot appeared to be on line but low.

Shot #2 - Held on the first line under the main Xhair. Again on line but not as low.

Shot #3 - Held on second line under main Xhair - one again on line but this time just a bit high....

Here is a picture looking back from the green clump (thistle) to the truck...

The next picture shows the gound contacts of the bullets... DON'T laugh - they were the only thing I had to mark the points with - the next picture is even more weird. Each shoe marks a contact point and above the green clump on the right is my range finder....

When you look at form this angle it is a bit deceptive because of the ground slope.

This picture shows more about the shots....

Now then... I stood the shoes up so you could see the elevation difference already knowing everything is right... but shot #1 held right on the green clump is about 12" low. Shot #2 using the 2nd elevation line is about 6" low and Shot #3 which you can not see is about 4" high... either way or anyway with a little practice and knowing the gun and projectile - it can be done...

OK - I'll quit - but it was fun this morning even in the lousy wind... sorry about the length...
Old 09-26-2009, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm still laughing. If Terri washes your socks your in deep ****. Very nice as usual.

BTW- You want me to send you some targets?
Old 09-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Sabotloader, I've heard of "walking" a load to the target - but that's ridiculous!

Good shooting. That .458 Sierra would be serious medicine for those big critters. Darn good deer bullet too.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Grouse45

I hate shooting paper! but I can always use more paper to shoot - got in the box you just sent...

When I got to the spot I was thinking wish I had grabbed some ribbon - I have several different rolls right under the front seat... Just did not think of it on the way up there. And at my age I ain't walking back to get ribbon - before I did that I would ave just said the heck with it - you guys don't need to know anyway.... but I made the extra effort.

back on subject... i really thing the domed vent liner is an asset - still not a total answer but a whole lot better...
Old 09-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane

I believe that Sierra would work very well - actually I know the some of the 45-70 shooters really like it...
Old 09-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Dominant Buck

That is a long way across that field. Not to sound like heel, but them spotter markers are a shoe in. Easy to spot, but it looks like they have some strings attached.

All joking aside, that is some impressive accuracy. And that scope must be pretty good to be that close with it set at 50 yards. You had mentioned it had good clarity and excellent glass. It sounds more and more interesting.

That Knight if it is an elk rifle, I think with practice, just extended your range when you hunt. The Lehigh or the Sierra would make an excellent load.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Ha Ha! I thought it was good thinking on my part..... i needed something for a mrker after I walked all the way up there.... sides hasn't everybody walked barefoot in a stubble field? Then you would not believe how many times I stood the darn things up in the stubble tried to get on the ground to get a picture - but the dang wind kept blowing one shoe or the other or both over.... if somebady was standing down below watching they would have really wondered what the heck is he doing??? I might have gotten commited...
Old 09-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

but the dang wind kept blowing one shoe or the other or both over.... if somebady was standing down below watching they would have really wondered what the heck is he doing??? I might have gotten commited...
One shoe over the Cuckoo's nest?
Old 09-27-2009, 03:31 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

great report,excellant responses.still wondering why the ftx bullets tumbled and why they loaded differantly being the same dia.and using the same sabots....karl
Old 09-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

kb1

Ya, I still wonder about that also, if I had the time I would have switch sabot to the short black Harverster and that might have the difference. The HP24 is very long on the FTX although I have never had a problem with them in the past.

I will shoot them again someday when I am just out shooting, but the interesting part is even though they were tumbling they hit where the scope looked - course that was only 50 yards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.