Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Elite/Extreme BH209 Lehigh plug.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Knight Elite/Extreme BH209 Lehigh plug.

I got my testing of the plug done this morning. I'm only going to recommend a few changes. The flame channel to be drilled out to 5/32 like the Savage plug. And the vent-liner to be brazed in the plug so it cant be removed. And also make a FPJ version as well.

I shot the plug 25 times today. 140grns of BH209 and 150grn bullets in my 45cal Knight Elite. This plug is really clean and NO blow back at all on my scope. I put a piece of white cloth around the scope to check this. I will post more pics later when i take the plug out of the gun.

Here are pics after 25 shots.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

I have money in hand....just tell me when. kl
Old 09-26-2009, 10:03 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

why would you have the vent liner brazed?just seems counterproductive....jmo...karl.PS- could you post a pic of BP only,thanks

Last edited by kb1; 09-26-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Grouse45

I shot what might be the FPJ version this morning... virtually no hot blow back from the barrel at all the breech still got sooty from the primer blowing debris out around the plastic jacket + I was using WELL used plastic jackets. No collection of material on the scope at all and the bolt always worked freely.

I totally disagree with the brazing of the vent liner in the BP. I know you have your safety reasons, but I would like to be able to change vent liners on my command.

I shot 24 shots this morning (T7-2f) - removed the plug and screwed the vent liner right out of the plug. With the tape and the bit of aniti-seize not a hint of a seized liner.

And the most important part it shot very well.

24 Shots later...

Not quite as clean as the NFPJ that Grouse shot... and the material you do see is from the primer. And again I need to mention I was using USED plastic jackets (6 to 10 times used)

Bolt and primer cavity...

Under side of the scope....

What material you see here is left over from previous shots with this scope mounted on a Knight. If you look closely at the label under the turrent you can see discoloration occuring from heated blowback. This occured when shooting the scope on another Knight with a factory plug.

Last edited by sabotloader; 09-26-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Typical Buck

Grouse

You could use Red (High Strength) Loctite to seal the vent liner. It will be almost permanent. You would have to heat it with a torch, or put the plug over a gas/stove flame to boil/loosen the seal to replace it. And would be a more cost effective way to mass produce

I am now very interrested in BOTH plugs, and will have to have 3 NFPJ's and 2 FPJ's
Old 09-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do want to mention i was using Teflon tape on the breech plug. I also was using the Federal 209A primers. The primer is also a compression fit so it's snug sometimes pulling the bolt back. I'm sure that will change with different primers.

Lehigh agreed to make the FPJ plug on Monday. The non FPJ plug will come with a primer holder. The current Knight version wont work. That part has been modified to seal better.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kb1
why would you have the vent liner brazed?just seems counterproductive....jmo...karl.PS- could you post a pic of BP only,thanks
The plug on the left is the new NFPJ plug. The plug on the right is a standard Knight FPJ plug.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Banned

Seems to look like a lot of dirty primer fouling in the bolt area. Thats doable, all thats important is that it is setting off the BH209.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use teflon tape with my vent liners also, no anti-sieze just a drop of synthtic oil excellant results so far. Lee
Old 09-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Seems to look like a lot of dirty primer fouling in the bolt area. Thats doable, all thats important is that it is setting off the BH209.
If your referring to mine there isnt. The primer holder is a different color. It's actually very clean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.